C6 Extension Housing U joint Driveshaft long and short

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

brockwkp85

C6 Extension Housing U joint Driveshaft long and short

Post by brockwkp85 »

First off, I'm new to this stuff. Been using youtube, online, and shop manuals as I go along and a lot of terminology I am not aware of and I feel like I need a dictionary with pictures for this stuff.

That said, I have 1972 Ford f100 360 that I've been rebuilding. The transmission went out and I decided to replace it myself. It's a C6 and I found a rebuilt one in town for pretty cheap along with a stock torque convertor from autozone. The guy said it came off a automatic 2wd 360fe which is what I have

I removed the existing c6 transmission from the truck (it says D2TP 7006 AA) but knew nothing about measuring the housing and that c6's have different housing extensions. The one that was in the truck has a shorter housing and a connected u joint yoke that attaches to the driveshaft. It's a long bed truck. The rebuilt one does not have the same housing but the front case and measurements all add up.

Can I remove the short housing and switch it on to the new one? Or is the output / input shaft not compatible in that I would completely redo the new one for the short housing?

from the truck
IMG_1267-1.JPG
IMG_1268-1.JPG
rebuilt
IMG_1270-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: C6 Extension Housing U joint Driveshaft long and short

Post by sargentrs »

I don't know the details but from what I've just read on the web, it sounds like a pretty involved process including complete tear down of the entire transmission. Since you said you have a long bed, I'm assuming you have the 2 pc drive shaft. If it was me, I'd just have a front driveshaft made with the matching yokes. Any driveline shop should be able to do that for a couple hundred.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

The output shaft comes out of the long bed transmission with the tail housing, but I do not *think* the same is true of the short bed transmission though.

The slip yoke is in the middle of the long bed driveshaft, I’m not too sure how having two would work.

Probably easiest thing is to sell your rebuilt and get the correct one...or have yours rebuilt/rebuild it yourself.

If I was to pursue the driveshaft modification I’d probably talk to a driveshaft shop about a one piece...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
brockwkp85

Post by brockwkp85 »

thanks y'all for the input.

I read online that older model c6's have the ability for the output shaft to be removed without tearing apart the whole beast. It worked for the attached yoke c6 in that I removed the housing bolts and with a few hits it slid right out showing the governor. Tried it on the long housing c6 and the output shaft is not moving as easy as the first. I'll do some research on that.

I have a two piece drive train for the long bed and thought about cutting something to fit, although not sure where to find drive shafts. Also, I can't find diagrams of the transmission WITH yokes and drive trains all connected. I find them separate. So it's bit hard to gauge what I can do here.

examples
IMG_1273.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

The short shaft on the (truck) transmission is held in by the extension housing assembly.
The long shaft on the (car) transmission is held in from the inside by a snap ring at the reverse planetary ring gear.
You can swap shafts but you will have to disassemble the car trans in order to remove the long output shaft.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I just got to the output shaft on my C6 rebuild with the short tail. As BobbyFord said, there was no snap ring holding the shaft in place. My rebuild book said that truck (short) shafts often did not use the snap ring, but the auto (long) shafts did, meaning you would need to tear into it to remove/replace the output shaft.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
jjsamc

Post by jjsamc »

When I upgraded to a C6 for my 1967 F-100, I ended up with one that had a long tailshaft (car) instead of one with the short tailshaft (truck).
In hindsight, I should have made sure to get a truck C6 in order to make it easier to find a compatible driveshaft. Without having to have one custom made, which is not actually a hard thing to get done at a good driveline shop...
1967 F-100 SWB 390 C6 Duraspark1 Edelbrock1406
[image]226[/image]