C6 Output Shaft Options

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

C6 Output Shaft Options

Post by colnago »

I'm rebuilding a C6 from a '71 that I'm planning to swap into my '67. It already has a C6 in it, so I figured it would be a fairly simple swap. However, the '71 has a short output shaft, and mine has a long output shaft. I figured all I had to do was get a long output shaft and housing for my rebuild, which I did. But the output end is different. It doesn't have the threaded end for the U-joint (does that mean it's from a car, and not a truck?). So now I have the following options:

1. Rebuild with the long shaft that I have, and find the appropriate U-joint collar at the junk yard.
2. Use the short output shaft, and find a longer driveshaft at the junk yard.
3. Wait until I pull the C6 in the truck, and use its output shaft and driveshaft.
4. Forget the C6 from the '71, and just rebuild the C6 that I have in the truck.

I don't have any reason to think either tranny needs a rebuild. I just figured that since I'm already rebuilding the engine, that I'd rebuild the tranny, too, and get it all done. I have found some wear in the thrust washers in the '71 C6. Wouldn't you know, there are no thrust washers in my rebuild kit!

So, any opinions?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: C6 Output Shaft Options

Post by colnago »

Well, I think I've resolved my issue. The longer output shaft (31 groove) uses a slip yoke. If I complete the rebuild with the long shaft I have, it will be a complete replacement of the current tranny. The slip yoke will pull off of the existing tranny, and slip onto the new. So, now I just need to decide if I want to stick with the long tail, or find a new driveshaft, and (re)convert to the short.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.