C6 Rebuild Question

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

C6 Rebuild Question

Post by colnago »

I started the rebuild on a C6 to go into my truck, and tore it apart today. I thought that I had everything that I needed, but I still have a couple of questions. I bought a Transgo rebuild kit, which came with seals, and I have new discs and plates. But I don’t have new thrust washers. Should I replace the thrust washers, or just reuse what I have? I can get a kit for ~$30 for all new thrust washers.

Second question: This is a daily driver. Should I get a shift kit, while I have it all apart? Once done, I don’t want to tear into it again, but if I don’t get any benefit for a daily driver, I don’t want to dive into the valve body.

Thanks,

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: C6 Rebuild Question

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I used to do rebuilds for a shop i worked at in the early 90's and when I did one I would replace everything - my rule was always I'd rather spend the extra now rather than have to do it twice..........as far as the shift kit on a daily driver you don't really need it - the only time we did them is if it was a customer request or it was going into something that was doing a lot of towing.......I would still take it apart and check for wear and give it a good cleaning - been 20 years since I've done one but if my dusty memory is correct I don't remember them being a bad job to do.......just my :2cents: :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR