16 Spline Dana 60 rear - upgrade???

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

grantorinosport

16 Spline Dana 60 rear - upgrade???

Post by grantorinosport »

1971 F-250 Camper Special, Dana 60

What is required to upgrade to 30 spline? Just axle shafts and the basic differential?

So I currently have the typical Dana 60 rear in my pickup (verified it was 16 spline when I re-did the axle shaft bearings). The axle is not limited slip, just a traditional differential.

I was interested in upgrading the axle to limited slip of some sort - specifically the Detroit Tru-Trac interested me. I need the extra traction getting it out of my back yard (slight hill & muddy), and also when I put my 20 foot boat into the water at a boat launch.

The Tru-Trac for example, is only available for the more popular flavors of Dana 60 (30 spline for example).

I don't need a super custom 35 spline axle or anything. But it seems that upgrading the axle requires switching to 30 spline.

So am I correct that buying a Tru-Trac unit and 30 spline axle shafts is all that is required?
Scott Eklund
The Ford Torino Page
http://grantorinosport.org/
M-100

Re: 16 Spline Dana 60 rear - upgrade???

Post by M-100 »

You will have to have some axles cut and resplined. Or you switch to a dentside dana 60. The dent rear is a little wider but it has been done.