4WD C6

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

4WD C6

Post by cep62 »

What I have is a very good engine and tranny coming out af a '79 Bronco thats too rusty to drive.(even for me)
Going into a '77 shortbox , that has a not so good engine and tranny.

The Bronco has a long tail shaft , the shortbox is standard length.

The question is, is there enough spline on the long tail shaft so I can cut it off and mate it to the truck's T case .
The reason is, I'll have to relocate the T case rearward (time ) and make up a new rear driveshaft (time and money)

This isn't a daily driver , just a plow truck with limited road miles , and winter is coming.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 4WD C6

Post by basketcase0302 »

by cep62 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:20 pm

What I have is a very good engine and tranny coming out af a '79 Bronco thats too rusty to drive.(even for me)
Going into a '77 shortbox , that has a not so good engine and tranny.

The Bronco has a long tail shaft , the shortbox is standard length.

The question is, is there enough spline on the long tail shaft so I can cut it off and mate it to the truck's T case .
The reason is, I'll have to relocate the T case rearward (time ) and make up a new rear driveshaft (time and money)

This isn't a daily driver , just a plow truck with limited road miles , and winter is coming.
Aren't you dealing with two different C-6 applications here?
Isn't the 79' a "mated" C-6 bolted right to the NP-203 transfer case?
And isn't your bump a "divorced" transfer case?

I can answer from my C-6 2WD installation that I put in my F-350, that the C-6 comes in both short and long shaft's and the case on each has to be specific to the shaft. I found that out the hard way and wound up replacing my driveshafts, (out of balance original anyway) to correct my length issue.

This might help:
http://www.monstertransmission.com/C6-4 ... ep_55.html
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

basketcase0302 wrote:Aren't you dealing with two different C-6 applications here?
Isn't the 79' a "mated" C-6 bolted right to the NP-203 transfer case?
And isn't your bump a "divorced" transfer case?
Nope.its going into a '77 pick up, I only posted the question here because we get more traffic than the "dent" site.
Although , your link to Monster Transmission answered my question. so thank you for that.
Their picture show that the splines don't go deep enough to cut back. I didn't think they would but I had some hope.
So now I'll plan on moving the T case back and making up another rear driveshaft.

And my t case is a NP 205 which is the part time gear drive case , the 203 is the full time chain drive case.

Actually my bump is a F100 so it has a mated single speed t case (no low range)
The F250s came with the divorced t case.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Not that much work really once you get started, (coming for a guy who's built custom frame 4 X 4's (swamp buggies with two tranny's bolted to transfer case's).
Congrats on finding a 205 case, (unlike the wimpy 203 chain driven case). :wink:
Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

basketcase0302 wrote:Congrats on finding a 205 case, (unlike the wimpy 203 chain driven case).
Thats seems to have been easy, I have a few more stacked on a shelf.
In fact I think I've only had one 203 in my possession .
basketcase0302 wrote:Not that much work really once you get started
I know ,it's the getting finished before snow flies.
But I work better under pressure. :D