BW t-85 r-11 overdrive problem

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

smilinsam

BW t-85 r-11 overdrive problem

Post by smilinsam »

Hi folks...I have installed a BW t-85 r-11 OD trans behind my FE. Was sourced from ebay and through a reputable trans shop that said they rebuilt it. Works fine going forward, but I have not tried OD. I put it in lock out position per Ford shop manual, but reverse will not engage. From what I understand it is not necessary to have the electrical part hooked up in order for it to function as a three speed. I understand this is a common problem and it has been addressed here before. I understand how it works and have a schematic on the trans. My question is: could I have put the solenoid in wrong, where it is not catching the pawl and therefore the lock out shaft is not working? The manual says to turn the shaft a quarter turn and insert into the OD housing. I turned it and inserted the solenoid in and with a little jiggling it went right in....but the in-out linkage flops back and forth with no resistance. I have tried it both ways but the truck won't back up. Any ideas? I can go out and try re-inserting the solenoid, but I'm going in for heart surgery in the morning for shortness of breath and chest pain and I don't think it's wise to be working on old trucks!...it's driving me crazy though....any ideas?