Transmission

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

69shortbed

Transmission

Post by 69shortbed »

Hi Guys, John in SATX. This is my first post. I'm not afraid to turn a wrench, but I'm very much a novice mechanic. Have major rebuilding project for my '69 Ford Ranger 390 V8 Styleside. One of the things I "loved" about my 69 Ranger, (390 V8) was the automatic 4 speed overdrive, where it automatically shifted into 4th. Blew the trans about a year ago....have searched all over but can't find a replacement and local trans shops unable to rebuild. Thought someone out there might know of something or someone who can rebuild. it will need a new solenoid for engaging the automatic shift into 4th if I can even find the 2nd and third gears.. I do not want an automatic...as an alternative, I am considering a TREMEC 5 on the floor, but heard there might be bell-housing problems... I have questions many questions about brakes, suspension, running gear, rear end ratios, front end suspension...since this will be a ground-up restoration with all the modern updated FORD and FORD RACING technologies, it will take quite a bit of thought and planning. Will eventually rebuild frame, convert to a shortbed and do a ground-up restoration with updated running chasis, rack and pinion steering and complete rebuild of the 390 that's got 120K on the clock....it's a great engine...No lift kits or giant tires, no major rake in the front....I want this to look as original as it possibly can but I'd like it to Kick Ass with power, tight, race car suspension and incomparable braking and handling. New paint will be one of the standard colors of '69...perhaps two-tone green and white....that's the current color. More later. Any thoughts appreciated. (Those of you who may be interested in shortbed conversions, might one to take a look at the You Tube series featuring Stacey David and the ingenious way he cut and shortened the frame of (dare I say it) a Chevy truck. Nonetheless, it's an interesting process.
Here's the You Tube link for episode 3-1, followed by episode 3-2, 3-3, and 3-4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9zy08qsahk

Thanks.....John/SATX
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Transmission

Post by HIO Silver »

Contact Bruce or Paul at Modern Driveline. They set me up with a short-shaft Tremec TKO-500. The short shaft allows the use of a stock FE bell so ya don't need to buy a $600 QT bell.

Pics of the installation in my 70 is in my build thread.
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
Canonman67
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: Transmission

Post by Canonman67 »

Another alternative to the tremec is the NV 4500, no special bellhousing, stock linkage BUT it is a truck transmission with a 5. something first gear. You can use the Dodge or Chevy version as long as you use the 2nd generation Chevy and change the input shaft to the Dodge type.