C4 Indentificaiton and parts help

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

aynor90

C4 Indentificaiton and parts help

Post by aynor90 »

Hey guys. New member and first post. Been on here a couple of times reading threads and finally decided to pose a question myself. I have a 67 F100 with a 240 and 3 on the tree and also have a 70 F100 with a 302 and auto trans. The 70 is what I am working on right now. Seems the transmission decided to dump a couple of weeks back. After doing a ton of search and talking with an older tranny guy, I decided to rebuild the C4 myself. There is a lot of information out there and this seems to be the easiest of the Ford trannys to rebuild. However, I am getting confused on some of the hard parts, plates and clutch plates that I have in my C4. See, my C4, according to the stamping and the id tag both, is a 1970 C4. Well, isn't that "special", literally! I know the story, 65-69, 70, and 71-up. Oh, and to make my situation a little more rare is that I have the short tail on this tranny.

Well, every parts diagram and exploded view of the C4 (a lot of them don't say what year) doesn't exactly match up with what I pulled out of my tranny. Even the C4 exploded via on this site. I am beginning to think that maybe some time in the past this tranny was rebuilt and maybe, just maybe the parts were not put back exactly like they were supposed to be? I don't even know if that is possible.

So, the questions. In the C4 exploded view, it shows 7B066 as the fwd front pressure plate right after the Fwd Clutch return spring 7B070 and it shows the same 7B066 after the clutch plates. Well, when I took mine apart, the pressure plate closest to the return spring is beveled. It is not the same as the one after the clutch plates. And, it is not the same at the other two pressure plates in the reverse clutch. Am I missing something?

Also, the diagram shows 7 clutch plates in the reverse clutch and 7 plates in the forward clutch. My clutches did not have the same number of plates in each. And my rebuild kit does not have 7 & 7. I think they are 5 and 9? I can't recall right now, but I know it didn't have 7 & 7. Can someone tell me the correct number of plates for each one? Maybe the diagram is not that specific??

I ran across one transmission manual website that mentions something about the rare C4S transmission. Is that something that actually exists, and if so, could that be what I have? And like I said earlier, my tranny has the short tail with the bolt on yoke. I can't find any diagrams that look like my tail cover. I have seen some, but they all have some type of bolt flange on the top that mine does not have.

And, I need to purchase a replacement fwd hub (7B067) because that is what I think caused all my issued. It is very worn and some of the clutch plate teeth were almost gone. Is there only one hub for all C4 trans?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
M-100

Re: C4 Indentificaiton and parts help

Post by M-100 »

Do a search for bad shoe video. He does alot of how to videos for ford stuff. He has one just for the c4 . I used one to rebuild a t5 trans it was very helpful .