1967 F100 - 4 speed Toploader

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

EasyE

1967 F100 - 4 speed Toploader

Post by EasyE »

New guy here. Over the weekend I bought a 67 f100 stepside with a late model roller 302 in it. It currently has an FMX auto in it, but I have a 4 speed toploader that I'd like to put in there.

I was able to find a 164 tooth flywheel with a 50 oz imbalance to match the engine and fit the bellhousing, but I have some other questions.

First, I'm wondering if I can use the mechanical Z-bar to hook the pedal up to the clutch fork? I'm really struggling with this. I've been looking around and I'm finding several versions of the Z-bar, and I don't know if the one that was stock with the 3 speed (it originally had a 3 speed) will be in the correct location. It looks like I'll be out about $150ish for the Z-bar and all the little brackets and crap that go with it, plus another $50ish for a throwout bearing. Alternatively I could just buy a hydraulic setup with internal slave cylinder for $600ish and be totally done with it (which at this point is looking like a nice option). Is there a performance/durability advantage to one or the other; hydraulic vs. mechanical? If the Z-bar will work, which toploader clutch fork do I need?

Second, I've searched on this forum a little and elsewhere and it looks like the 4 speed toploader swap has been done before, but here and there I'm seeing people mention that the shifter is positioned too far toward the seat. Is that correct? Is there anything to be done about that? Do you just go with it? I have some bucket seats I could put in if it looks like the bench seat will be in the way, but just wanted to get some more info on this.

Thanks all.
EasyE

Re: 1967 F100 - 4 speed Toploader

Post by EasyE »

Just a follow up, I went out and looked under my truck and there aren't any attachments that I saw for the clutch Z-bar. I am confused, because it already has a 3rd pedal and the pedal linkage inside the cab is all there. I'd expect there to be the brackets on the frame for the Z-bar.

Also I measured where the shifter handle will end up, and it's about 3" from the front of the bench seat. Also I think I'm going to put bucket seats in anyhow, so should be fine.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

"Beauty is only skin deep....Ugly is to the bone"
It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
EasyE

Post by EasyE »

Thanks eggman. I saw that image and that's how I know I'm missing stuff. PN 7507 in the bottom left corner is missing, nor are there any holes drilled for it. Why wouldn't there be any holes if the truck was a manual before?

Also, if that mechanical linkage is what I need, will it match up to where the toploader's clutch fork sits?

Btw, what's the 918 in your username for? Not by chance an area code is it?
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

918 is law enforcement code for erratic behavior like 5150 is for crazy :wink:
Steve

The"Filthy Beast"- '68 F-250 Crew Cab 131"W/B 4x4 4BT compounds hx30/Wh1c,5x.012" sac injectors/ZF 5/NP203-205 /3.54 44 trutrack front/60 trutrack rear on 33's. 2nd owner

It is more important to understand what you don't know than what you do know,because then you can start to learn..???
"you must deal with the attaboys and the ass chewing s with your head up and looking them in the eyes" T.J.E. aka My Dad
There are only three types of people wolves, sheepdogs, and sheep. What are you?
EasyE

Post by EasyE »

Gotcha.

So I'm also considering the crown vic swap, so I may scrap this idea anyway. I dunno, we'll see.

Gonna go do some reading on that.
eggman918
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by eggman918 »

It's been many moons but IIRC the toploader's shifter is all external and controlled with rods,so you should be able to fab rods in whatever configuration you need to put shifter body where you want :2cents:
Steve