1967 F100 Column Shifter Problem

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Sir Jarrod

1967 F100 Column Shifter Problem

Post by Sir Jarrod »

So, my 1967 F100 has a 3 speed column shift transmission. Reverse and 1st gear on topside. 2nd and 3rd on bottom side. Like in the shape of an H. However, now I cannot shift from 2nd and 3rd up to reverse and 1st. Can't even feel the notch or opening to pull shifter up. I pulled steering wheel and horn assembly but found no visible issues in cab area. Even pulled "shifting rod" out to see that it moves correctly back and forth when pulling on shifter. When installed it will not pull up at all. I also manually moved gear rods by hand. They move freely and seem to be functioning properly. So, my problem seems to be down in the column. Do I need to pull entire column or what should be my next step?
Mach428
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Re: 1967 F100 Column Shifter Problem

Post by Mach428 »

The H in the shifting pattern is in the shifting arms at the bottom of the steering column, under the hood. Have someone move the shifter while you inspect the shifting arms. I believe you will find your problem there
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 1967 F100 Column Shifter Problem

Post by sargentrs »

:yt: I had a similar problem with mine. I would have to work the full "H" to shift, pausing at each intersection of the cross bar on the "H". Put it in 1st, keep pressure against the left side of the H, push up half way, push straight across through the H to the other side, hold pressure against the other side of the H and push up into 2nd. Slow and tedious like shifting a school bus. There is a spring on the bottom of the shift tube that assists your shifter in centering at neutral. http://www.fordification.com/tech/3spd-column_01.htm Over time, that spring will compress and the tube will settle into the bottom position. Once that happens you have to feel your way through the slots in the linkage arms with the welded plate on the end of the shift tube. There are also some nylon and metal spacers between the all of that linkage down at the bottom of the housing that keeps everything properly spaced and lined up. I disassembled my column and replaced all wearable parts and she shifted like new again.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.