Speedometer gear?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

Slacker809

Speedometer gear?

Post by Slacker809 »

I have a t-18 and running 4.10 gears. What speedometer gear do I need? I have to replace cable and figured I'd try to get speedometer correct.
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Speedometer gear?

Post by mrtleavitt »

Can't really just look up in a book and find the best gear from my experience. Depends on tire size, existing gear tooth count and how far off your current speedo is. I did a lot of calculations and gear swaps to get my speedo dead on. Let me see if I still have my research saved on my computer.
1969 F100 428 with T19, 3.00 9inch 31 spline w/ Detroit Trutrac, '74 frame swap successful!
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/mrtleavitt/
Ren

Re: Speedometer gear?

Post by Ren »

Here's what I would try: Borrow a vehicle you are reasonably certain has an accurate speedo. There are a number of simple ways to determine this to your satisfaction.

Drive borrowed vehicle exactly one mile as indicated on the odo from your driveway. Mark the spot. Do the same thing with your vehicle. Note the difference in odo readings.

Let's say your vehicle reads 9/10 of a mile. This is 10% slow.

Determine how many teeth the driven speedo gear in your trans has. Let's say it has 17.

That gear needs to spin 10% faster than it is doing. That means it needs fewer teeth.

17 - 10% = 15.3.

Go online and find a speedo gear with 15 teeth.