Clutch Change out

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

depthcharge711

Clutch Change out

Post by depthcharge711 »

Currently I have a 390 with a NP435 four-speed. I want to change the cluthc and was underneath looking, Can I unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing then remove the bell housing? It would make things alot easier I think. Anything special to consider when doing this?
What can I say..its a Ford and I wouldnt want it any other way!

72 F100 390FE PS PB 4spd
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Clutch Change out

Post by fordman »

yues you can do that. i dont know how easy or hard it would be. i have never done it. i was thinking you coul djust puul bell and all. and slide it back then replace the clutch.
70shortbox

Post by 70shortbox »

Either way works. On reassembly it can be tricky to get the throwout bearing slid in place on the bearing retainer snout.
1970 F100 Custom Shortbed Styleside
460/C6
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i put grease on my transmission input shaft to let the throw out bearing slide on the shaft. but i was putting the engine in while the transmission was still in place.
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

Actually, you don't have to remove the bellhousing.

The clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and pilot bearing can all be replaced with the bellhousing bolted to the engine. The clutch disc and pressure plate come out the bottom of the bellhousing after removing the inspection cover.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
depthcharge711

Post by depthcharge711 »

I am replacing the rear main seal while I am down there so I wil be removing everything..Just dont want to have to deal with all that weight when I am working solo. Thank you for the advice. Hope this goes smooth..I alreadt found out the headers had to be unbolted in order to get the bellhousing to clear.
What can I say..its a Ford and I wouldnt want it any other way!

72 F100 390FE PS PB 4spd
pelesl

Post by pelesl »

70_F100 wrote:Actually, you don't have to remove the bellhousing.

The clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and pilot bearing can all be replaced with the bellhousing bolted to the engine. The clutch disc and pressure plate come out the bottom of the bellhousing after removing the inspection cover.
I'm assuming you know from experience? Because the shop manual says you have to remove the bellhousing (they call it the clutch housing I think) and that then you have to put an indicator in your pilot bushing to realign the housing to within some pretty amazing tolerances!

In the master parts catalog the picture was not clear as to whether or not you can get everything out with the housing installed.

Can you also pull the flywheel out through this cover?
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

:2cents: Why make your life harder than you need too for the sake of removing 6 or so extra bolts??
unbolt the trans from the bellhousing ,then remove the bellhousing and then the pressure plate and so on.
its easier to get to the bolts on the pressure plate & its alot easier to check out the flywheel for wear/heat spots and cracks that way...
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

Whateverman wrote:

:2cents: Why make your life harder than you need too for the sake of removing 6 or so extra bolts??
unbolt the trans from the bellhousing ,then remove the bellhousing and then the pressure plate and so on.
its easier to get to the bolts on the pressure plate & its alot easier to check out the flywheel for wear/heat spots and cracks that way...
Working on trucks for a living for many years taught me to take off as little as possible. There's that much more you have to put back together.

The way these trucks are made, by the time you take the starter out and those extra 6 bolts that hold the bellhousing on, you can almost have the clutch changed out. You can also inspect the flywheel quite easily. Cracks and hot spots are quite easily recognizable.

Leaving the bellhousing on also means you don't have to realign it (which I doubt is done very often anyway).

That is also why the bellhousing is made with a big opening in the bottom.

And that is my :2cents:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
pelesl

Post by pelesl »

Removing the bell housing or not, it's probably a good idea to set up the indicator and check its alignment anyway. Then if you find that it's way off you can take it off and do the clutch change afterwards.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

why is the bell housing in need of alignment when it has line up spacers that do that for you? i put the bellhousing on my fe and then put the engine in my F100 4wd. shock the engine mayeb twice. and it slide right onto the transmission. i have had no trouble what so ever with the clutch or any part of it. since i put it together. this was my first driveable 4wd with a manual transission. its the best truck i have ever had. too bad i dont drive it on the highway. gas costs too much.
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

Seriously? realign the bellhousing?WTF? thats not hard- it goes onto locator dowels !
- still got my first first car 20+yrs later : 69 f100 sorta kinda pretending its a Mercury M100 w/a 70 f350 sport custom cab (factory buckets) 67 grille with 69 ranger cooneyes 68 merc box and hood,some supercool fiberglass fenders i scored way back when, 76 f150 disc brake frontend..currently running a 90 5.0HO 4bbl/c4 auto & 3.50 posi...originally a 360/c6 f100 Ranger with dealer added towpack (incl. kelsey hays trailer brake),boxside toolbox,behind the seat stowage & belly tank...only original parts left on 'er are the frame,rear end,rear springs,and rear bumper...
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

thats what i did . but there is a reason and i cant remember why it is suppose to be done.
Whateverman
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Whateverman »

i always had to align the clutch with the pilot bearing,but never the bellhousing with anything
but then again i've never had a pilot bearing (or bushing) come out without having to be cracked in half with a cold chisel first either (which would be even more of a P.I.T.A with the bellhousing in the way)
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

i used a clutch disc line up tool. to heck with messing around trying to line up the splines and all that.