Clutch equalizer bar: bracket missing or not?

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

70_F100

Re: Clutch equalizer bar: bracket missing or not?

Post by 70_F100 »

I don't know what all of the differences are, but the z-bar for a 302 in a 69-72 is different than for either a 6-cylinder or an FE.

Length is one difference, with the FE/6-cyl bar coming in at 5-1/2" and the 302 measuring 5-13/16". The MPC also says that the lever on the 302 piece is 5-5/16" long. That being said, in 72 (from S/N N00,001) the 302 uses the same piece as all of the other engines.

The part number for the FE/6-cyl/late 302 models is C8TZ 7528-B, while the 69-early 72 trucks w/302 use D0TZ 7528-A.

LMC and NPD both list the same part number for all engines from 68-72, which contradicts the MPC.

The frame bracket is the same for all F100-F350 trucks from 67-72 (and a lot of 66-model trucks), P/N C6TZ 7507-C.

I don't know whether or not you've got the right parts on the truck now, but maybe this info will help.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

The one on my 302 (all original) does not have that bracket and my bar, p/n BAR-7528 was straight, not curved. PIN-7A588 was screwed directly into a boss on the engine (?, IIRC) and stuck into the end of the BAR-7528.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
Florian
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Florian »

Thanks for your replies guys! I really appreciate your help ver much! :thup:
70_F100 wrote:Length is one difference, with the FE/6-cyl bar coming in at 5-1/2" and the 302 measuring 5-13/16". The MPC also says that the lever on the 302 piece is 5-5/16" long. That being said, in 72 (from S/N N00,001) the 302 uses the same piece as all of the other engines.
That´s perfect, now I can measure mine and see if it is the right one! Thank you! :thup: Does the MPC provide a drawing that shows where they are measuring exactly?

I looked at it again today and I don´t think that a straight bar would be compatible with my frame mounting bracket. It wouldn´t sit horizontal then.
1971 Ford F100, 302cui, 3 on the tree

Hawkrod
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Hawkrod »

Florian wrote:Hey,

wanted to adjust clutch pedal free play today and installed the clutch equalizer bar. When I saw this drawing in my shop manual, I noticed that I don´t have this bracket between the engine block and the pin.

[ Image ]

Here´s how my setup looks like:

[ Image ]

Is it okay like this or am I missing the bracket? Also, is it normal that the equalizer bar is bent like this? It doesn´t look bent in the drawing..

Thanks!

Florian
Sorry, but I think you are way overthinking this issue. First, look at the picture you posted, it shows both the pin with the bracket which you circled, and the pin without a bracket right next to it. That is because either style can be used depending on which engine the vehicle has. Second, the equalizer shown in the drawing is an FE bar and it is just a generic drawing, Ford rarely makes drawings available for all versions as it isn't important, the drawings are only there to indicate proper component relationships so unless something is different for a specific model there will not be a specific drawing. Third, that equalizer is the way they are made, there is no way you could bend one like that in use, it would have had to be done by somebody and it would be a lot of work. Next is the fact that there are at least three different ones used on 68-72 trucks with a 302 and also 3 different ones used on 73-79 (one of which is the same as one used on 68-72) that will also bolt right on so what another truck may have will not indicate if what you have is right or wrong. Finally, what you have appears to be correct and works so it is very unlikely that there is anything wrong with it and it is likely correct unless you have reason to believe somebody messed with it. Hawkrod
39 Ford Dlx Cpe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 F250 4X4
86 SVO
76 F250 Crew Cab
67 F250 Ranger
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/veh ... 9&detail=1