C6 output shaft bearing

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

ScreaminZ

C6 output shaft bearing

Post by ScreaminZ »

My truck's got a C6 with the short 2-piece extension housing with the flange that bolts to the driveshaft. I'm upgrading to a 460 and am swapping this extension housing and output shaft onto the 460 transmission. In the process, I would like to replace the worn parts since the rest of the transmission is freshly built.

I think i have sourced the output seal, but if anybody knows a part number or at least dimensions, that would be helpful. The main thing I'm concerned about is the ball bearing that supports the output shaft. Do any of you know a part number and/or source for that bearing? I can't find it on any exploded diagrams that I've found and the local auto part stores don't list the bearing on their websites. Everybody seems to list a bushing, but that appears to be just for the cases with the slip yoke.

Thanks!
ScreaminZ

Re: C6 output shaft bearing

Post by ScreaminZ »

So, I gave up on google and looked through the diagrams on this site. Should have been my first stop. Oh well. :doh:

Anyway, I found the part on this diagram:
In that diagram, it's labeled 7065. Is there some other part number I can use to cross-reference this? Maybe some other common application that I can ask for at the parts counter? Also, another part number for the seal (labeled 7A011) would be helpful.

Thanks
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

that rear seal should be easy to get.if you cant get it locally yo ucan try rockauto.com they may have it and more. they have alot of stuff.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Off the top of my head I think I remember the seal # to be 410308. There should be a number on the outer bearing race.
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
ScreaminZ

Post by ScreaminZ »

Thanks for the links. That seal isn't the right one as it's too small, but that bearing looks like the one. At that price, though, I think I'm going to just check how much play is in mine and probably just re-use it.

As for the seal, I measured mine and am pretty sure I've located the right one. Just waiting for it to arrive at the auto parts store to see for sure.

Thanks for the help!
mechanknuckle

Post by mechanknuckle »

Hey ScreaminZ, I know this is an old thread, but did you find the right seal? I'm rebuilding my trans and can't find anyone that has that large diameter seal. I'm dead in the water tight now, and everyone keeps pointing me to the small outer diameter seal, which is NOT it.

Thanks.
vwfreak

Post by vwfreak »

For everyone's reference, here's the bearing I purchased at Bearing Belt and Chain in Phoenix last month. Exact fit. Slip a small screwdriver under the inside edge of the side plates and they pry right off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1967 F250 66k original miles when bought in 2012. Original 352 bored and stroked (Oct 13) to 396 cid, Upgrades include Cam Motion solid cam and lifters, C8AE-H heads now flow 220 intake/163-170 exhaust w/o pipes. Current project is a C6 swap in place of the original FMX. 4:10 Dana 60. Truck Custom ordered by original owner in Dark Moss Green over Wimbledon White.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

mechanknuckle wrote:Hey ScreaminZ, I know this is an old thread, but did you find the right seal? I'm rebuilding my trans and can't find anyone that has that large diameter seal. I'm dead in the water tight now, and everyone keeps pointing me to the small outer diameter seal, which is NOT it.

Thanks.

Unfortunately ScreamingZ was lost to an accident:

http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... =2&t=59718
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper