Ford 3spd vs C4 auto

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

flyboy71
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Ford 3spd vs C4 auto

Post by flyboy71 »

Im not quite sure how to frame this up but heres the deal. I have one truck with a 240 I6 Ford 3 spd manual and another with a 302 C4 Auto. Theres nothing wrong with either engine trans combo I just have a mixed bag of stuff at my disposal. My nostalgic side would love to use the 302 with the 3 speed manual but my practical side tells me to keep the 302/auto combo. If I wanted to slap the 3spd onto the 302, do I have anything currently in my possession that would allow me to just do that? Im inclined not to put the auto on the I6 so Im keeping it strictly 302/3spd if I decide to do this. I could just find a truck with that I know but Im not buying another truck and my wife may have an issue with that, plus Im being thrifty. I dont want to get into a whole good vs bad discussion just want to know what pieces would swap over or if I need something I dont have to make it work.
-Jeff

1971 F-100 240 straight six, 3 on the tree (parted out)
1972 F-100 302 auto trans, pwr steering, pwr brakes (under construction)
"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" Dwight Eisenhower
cdeal28078
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Ford 3spd vs C4 auto

Post by cdeal28078 »

The transmission will swap but I cannot remember if a 240 bell housing is the same or not but I am thinking it is. You'd need a flywheel of the right imbalance for the 302 as I am sure that won't swap. Drive shafts should swap. The steering columns should along with the peddles and all shift rods as long as it is the same 67-72 trucks. I think the only things you have to be concerned with is the bell housing and flywheels/flexplates. Somebody a lot smarter than I will be along soon an correct me where I am wrong.
clint
71 F100 SportCustom
460 C6. Disc Brake/Power-steering/automatic Swap. 3.00
1986 Bronco 5.0 AOD
Skifu
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Skifu »

I had a LWB 302 3.03, column shift,it was a 78 I believe,nice truck,ac worked decent,but man was it slow,it took a major amount of gas pedal and dumping of the clutch to make it spin,and it would almost get stuck on wet grass,if it started to go down,and you floored the hell out of it,it would start to spin both back wheels,but you had to rev it hard,my 96 Ex/cab swb 300-t18-3.55 rear gear combo Ive got now,would out pull it hands down,and maybe dam near out run it as well,I dont know what it was,perhaps the rear gear on my 78 truck was to hi,I dont know,but it was a slug of a ride,good only for hi/way cruising,on the open road,I drove it from Starke Fl,to New orleans La.to see my mother one week end,and made it in 8 hrs flat,I averaged 85 mph on that trip,got a ticket on the way back!It was way good for cruising.Before I retro-ed the T/18 into my 96,it was a E40D,it was a un-eventful ride as well,the 4 spd.transformed it into a decent pick-up,go figure?? I just hauled 26-96lb bags of cement mix to my brother in laws house this weekend,and although you could tell it was back there,It did it with out a sweat,I even took off in 2nd,it made the steering wheel feel like it was floating over the road.As far as your swap is concerned,far as Ive know,and I just did a tranny swap,240-300-302-351 will all interchange trannys,you must get a neutral balance 164 tooth flywheel for the 240-300, the 302-351 has counter weight on back of the flywheel.but youve said you got all the parts,so Id say your good to go.
94 Ford F-150 super cab
300-6 eod auto,changing to NP-435
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

one thing to remember. the 240 flywheel and the 302 flywheel have different numebrs of teeth. so you will want the corrrect flywheel fo rwhat ever combo you are going to use.