drive shaft differences

Clutch, transmission, rear axle

Moderators: FORDification, 70_F100

yarko

drive shaft differences

Post by yarko »

I'm changing my truck from long box to short and I was wondering if the drive shaft from a 73+ will fit in my 67 once it's shortened. I have a line on a few 73+ drive shaft. Thanks everyone
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: drive shaft differences

Post by HIO Silver »

yarko wrote:I'm changing my truck from long box to short and I was wondering if the drive shaft from a 73+ will fit in my 67 once it's shortened. I have a line on a few 73+ drive shaft. Thanks everyone
We need more info.....Just the driveshaft or the driveshaft and the yoke? What transmission is the donor and what is your truck equipped with? ... A C6 auto has a 31-spline output shaft. The NP435 has a fixed yoke for an output. A C4 has 28-spline output shaft.
yarko

Post by yarko »

Sorry about that. I'm totally new to this. My truck is a c4 (I believe) with a 9" rear. As for the donor truck, I'm not actually sure. I'd have to look into it. I haven't had the truck long and I'm still learning
mrtleavitt
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by mrtleavitt »

Another thing to note is that the difference from the rear tires to the front tires is 2 inches more on a 1973+, so technically the drive line will be 2 inches longer on the '73 and newer. When I did my frame swap (1969 body on a 1974 frame) I had to move the rear leaf spring perches forward on the frame 2 inches so that the tires would be centered in the rear wheel wells. The drive line might have enough movement with the slip yoke but make sure that the skip yoke has enough movement and isn't bottomed out. Good luck :thup:
1969 F100 428 with T19, 3.00 9inch 31 spline w/ Detroit Trutrac, '74 frame swap successful!
http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/mrtleavitt/
yarko

Post by yarko »

Amazing info! Thanks everyone!
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

mrtleavitt wrote:Another thing to note is that the difference from the rear tires to the front tires is 2 inches more on a 1973+, so technically the drive line will be 2 inches longer on the '73 and newer. When I did my frame swap (1969 body on a 1974 frame) I had to move the rear leaf spring perches forward on the frame 2 inches so that the tires would be centered in the rear wheel wells. The drive line might have enough movement with the slip yoke but make sure that the skip yoke has enough movement and isn't bottomed out. Good luck :thup:
The slip yoke on an AT should be at least half-way in with the vehicle at rest.