T18/NP435 transmission cover shifter hole measurements.

Drivetrain Forum's FAQs

Moderator: 70_F100

robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

T18/NP435 transmission cover shifter hole measurements.

Post by robroy »

Good day!

While chatting with 70_F100 today about his C6 to T19 transmission swap, I took some measurements of the transmission tunnel cover hole where the T18/NP435 shifters pass through. The cover that I measured came in my 1972 F250 4x2 T18/360, 8,100lb GVW truck.

I heard from 70_F100 that the covers with the hole pre-made aren't always easy to find or inexpensive, and it's feasible to take a cover from a truck that originally came with a C6 and cut the hole in it as needed.

Since I'd already taken these measurements, I figured I'd share them here in case anybody else wants to cut a 4 speed hole in their C6 cover!

To reduce the potential for ambiguity regarding the method I used to take these measurements, I took some photos. You can click on any of these photos to see high definition and resolution editions!

As you can see, whenever it made sense to do so I pressed the transmission cover's flat sides and front squarely up against the face of a wood block; it seemed like the only feasible way to get measurements accurate to perhaps 1/32" or better.

The opening itself measured 5" by 6", or perhaps 6 and 1/32" (as you know, the sheet metal isn't perfectly regular, to say nothing of my crude measuring tools and skills)!

The distance between the left edge and the hole was 3 and 1/8". I took this measurement at several spots along the inner edge of the hole to ensure its reasonable accuracy, and it measured 3 and 1/8" every time.

The distance between the right edge of the tray and that edge of the hole measured 4 and 5/16". On some portions of the hole's inner edge, it appeared to be closer to 4 and 9/32" (1/32" less).

I measured 1 and 7/8" between the fore edge of the pan and the fore hole edge.

And I measured 7 and 7/8" between the fore pan edge and the aft hole edge.

I hope these measurements prove useful to members doing this swap in the future!
Robroy
FreakysFords
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: T18/NP435 transmission cover shifter hole measurements.

Post by FreakysFords »

Mighty nice of ya Robroy!! Perhaps Keith could use your illustrations and write up, or make a sticky of it.

Frank
Darlin 69 Ranger 390 4v, PS, DS II, disc front, 3G alternator, 67 mirror.
70_F100

Re: T18/NP435 transmission cover shifter hole measurements.

Post by 70_F100 »

Moved topic to FAQ's. Shadow topic will stay in place for a short time for those whose topics Robroy linked to.