Headers improvement?

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: re: Headers improvement?

Post by Comet »

TheImpaler wrote:You shouldn't have any problems with "back pressure," as the 460 is a big motor that needs to breathe. In fact, back pressure isn't something you want at all, it is just a necessary evil in preserving exhaust velocity. (The charge of the gases serves to push out gas farther down the pipe and pull gas from the engine side of the pipe).

That said, I would run 2.5" pipe with glasspacks if you aren't planning to rebuild the motor with higher compression and a hotter cam. If you plan on making more changes to the motor, however, I would use 3" pipe and FlowMaster 40 mufflers.

Just my thoughts...To be taken with a grain of salt, as I am still learning.

-Patrick
This is exactly what I was going to say. Keep in mind the truck 460s were built for low end grunt, so losing a little down low to gain on the top end is ok, IMO, especially if you run an RV cam. The biggest opportunity for HP gains on these is a better breathing exhaust and better flowing heads. I'm going this route in the 460 I'm building (eventually :roll: ) and running 3" exhausts. This (and some other tricks) is what was recommended to me from a well respected Ford builder in my area that is world re-knowned (no lie) for his head port work. He just got done competing in Popular Hotrodding's Master Engine builders competition. It's an invite only event, but I don't know where his team finished.
morganater

re: Headers improvement?

Post by morganater »

Yeah i really wish I had the time/money/maybe the knowledge to self-port my heads. I even have an extra set laying around from my blown up 429 that I could use. I don't know how to do this though, so im out of luck. My friend has a 1977 Dodge short bed single cab 2wd with 4.10s and a 440 with an intake, cam and headers and he can nudge me out right now in a race and its really annoying. I want to get the headers to beat him and also to have the badass sound like his. I am mad that the 460 is constantly referred to as the dog motor of all motors, though.
1969 f100 swb ranger 460 - parting out
1968 f100 swb 429 - decking out
94 Jeep I6 Back-up vehicle
reppin' AK
crazy larry

Re: re: Headers improvement?

Post by crazy larry »

morganater wrote:Yeah i really wish I had the time/money/maybe the knowledge to self-port my heads.

I am mad that the 460 is constantly referred to as the dog motor of all motors, though.
go to www.hotrodders.com and do a search on porting heads.

I gasket matched and bowl blended mine myself, it is not hard, just time consuming and tedious. but well worth it.

regarding the second remark, i've never heard anyone but an idiot say such things. keep that in mind. :evil:
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
bryantracing460

Post by bryantracing460 »

I had dynomax headers and 2 chamber flowmasters(3" in and 3" out) on my 460. It was a car 460. I was pleased. They exited in front of the back tires. On another note if you have a set of 429 heads laying around, they would help the 460 out a lot. combustion chambers on the 429 heads are better than stock 460 heads. :2cents:
As for the (dog) comment check this out.http://www.popularhotrodding.com/engine ... 04phr_emc/
Jeremy
Drive It Like You Stole It.........NO FEAR!
69 F-100 swb 2wd 460 C-6. 86 F-150 super cab 2wd 302 AOD.85 Bronco 4wd 300 AOD.
http://www.myspace.com/bryantracing460
bryantracing460

Post by bryantracing460 »

or you could just get one of these. :D
Jeremy
Drive It Like You Stole It.........NO FEAR!
69 F-100 swb 2wd 460 C-6. 86 F-150 super cab 2wd 302 AOD.85 Bronco 4wd 300 AOD.
http://www.myspace.com/bryantracing460
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Talking about Head Porting,My heads have just been finished and are about to be shipped to me.
All head Porters are not $$ there is one that I found and am very Happy with what he has said he got out of them.

C4AE-6090-G these are FE Heads that I got from Vern.
http://fordification.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=640
I'm getting some more Heads from him to have as back-ups

Flow #'s (these are the Averages)
281 Intake
197 Exhaust
@.600 lift as my cam will be just above the .600 lift
(for those that dont know,the above #'s are very very Good)

Les Schmader Head Porting:
http://www.lesport.8m.com/main.html

I'm very Happy with Les and will send him any other Heads that I want done.He will talk everything over with you and if you dont understand he'll keep you on the Phone untill you do understand.

I have alot of respect for Mr. Schmader
and thought I'd pass it on to you guys.
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
morganater

Post by morganater »

I know that people on the internet at reputable shops do good head porting. We're kinda overlooking the fact i like in Alaska, where it would cost a lot to send them out to get ported, and reputable shops in town cost a pretty penny. As for my motor, its not a truck motor. The 460 that i have in there now is from a 72 T-Bird I am pretty sure. the 429 is from a 70 Galaxie. The 429 is blown most likely with just a broken chain and raped valves. My 460 has a performer cam though supposedly, but the stats on the cam are barely better than stock its pathetic. Thats cool you had side exit. I think I am going to order my headers today.
reppin' AK
morganater

Post by morganater »

I ordered the headers. Hope to install them soon and get some good side exhaust on there fabbed up at an exhaust shop. I will get some pics and keep you posted.
reppin' AK
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

For porting. You could also talk to Scott Vincent on the FE Forum. His prices seem very fair.

Or take a look at:

http://www.sa-motorsports.com/diyport.shtm
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper