Q,s about the ( X ) cast in the lifter valley in the FE,s

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Q,s about the ( X ) cast in the lifter valley in the FE,s

Post by Tim P. »

I have a 390 block with casting # C6ME-a with the ( X ) in lifter valley any body have some info thats has some merit to this type block some have stated that it has a higher nickle content to the casting materials does any body have info as to this matter i know this is a 428 casting # but my motor is a standard 390 bore factory the shop that bore the block 0.30 stated that it cut harder that most blocks could this have some truth to the higher nickle cant seem to get any info thats more difiniftive to this mystery.
Ford Is The Mountain That The Rock fell Off Of.

72 F-250 Camper Special 390 Stroker 419 CID 420 HP Natural Asp 200 HP NOS C-6 Dana 60 4.10
96 F-150 XLT 4X4 5.8 Heavy Duty 4EOD
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Q,s about the ( X ) cast in the lifter valley in the FE,

Post by cobraF100 »

Well all the reviews are not in yet but from what was said they ( with the X ) are to have a Higher Nickle content.

There are alot of question behind that the"Higher Nickle Content" because there could of been other materials add to make it better then when using Nickel.

Posted by Dave Shoe:
2% nickel is rumored to be added to blocks which carry an "X" in the lifter galley (no where else), but I'm still a few months away from verifying that.

Certainly, as basic cast iron matured in chemistry through the decades, it would behave differently with additions of nickel and chrome. I'd sure like to see specific documentation which spoke of nickel and/or chrome additions since 1958, but the 1933 article, pioneering at best, is the only one I've seen discuss the addition. To continue on the "pioneering" side of the article, the "cast iron valve seat" had 15% chrome added to make it durable, but steel obviously won the fight for valve seat supremacy as the decades passed. I'm sure vastly improved steels were needed for valve seats as performance levels increased.

I've heard both the 2% nickel formula, as well as the 5% chrome formula, and am also interested in learning more about the special high phosphorous foumula advertised in the 1972 advertisement from Ford. Note that excessive phosphorous causes embrittlement, but a carefully monitored level of increased phosphorous will increase tensile strength about 10% if I read correctly.

Based on the 427 block blueprints, I'm wondering if nickel ever got added, as they don't discuss nickel or chrome at all, but they do discuss other elements of the iron. Ford must have placed only the common block alloy on the prints, and offered special alloys in supplemental documentation.

Also note that chrome (actually, chromium), when added to steel in the amounts from 5% to 25%, is what makes stainless steel. Stainless steel is well noted for it's heat resisting qualities - particularly when the chrome is present at the higher levels. Nickel is an associated addition which makes up most stainless steels, though chrome is apparently a slightly more important element, as some stainless steels don't contain much nickel, others contain more nickel than chrome.

I wonder why we don't hear more about stainless irons? I wonder if they exist? I understand that high alloy cast irons exist, just as high alloy steels do, but the stainless variations would seem to have some possible industrial applications.

Shoe.
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

INCREASED nickel is my understanding also. I've never actually heard anything else to explain it. ....
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

Well Chris you and I are in search for the truth and dave shoe is a very knowledgable man when it comes to the FE I have had the opportunity to speak to him in the past, so as well as you Im in search of some printed info on this subject all i know is the machinist that bored my block made note that the metal seemed alot harder to bore than the usual blocks that come through his machine shop and i know that alloys in the past have been introduce to block castings in the past mainly in the 60's & 70's GM (forgive me for cursing) have added nickle to some of there BB I know of one The cadillac 500 cuber block that happen to be a ball buster to move around in my buddy,s shop he told me the nickle in it made it very heavy. well enough of the other guys stuff, when you learn more I would like to be informed or give so direction on where to help so we all can know more about this mystery. Tim.

72 F-250 Camper Special 390 Stroker 419 CID 420 HP Natural Asp 200 HP NOS C-6 Dana 60 4.10
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

If I hear anything else I'll Post it.

Hardest Blocks (USA):
Mopar's
Ford's

Then the Softest is the :
Chevy's

These are based off Oil School Blocks 50's thru 70's.
Chris
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

Your absolutely correct Chris goes along with my famous statement on my special message title Fords and mountains.

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I will ad some heresay to the pot. Back in about 79 I was a visitor on a Snap-on truck, my first. Anyway his van was a Ford based one and an early 70s model. He said it had horrible oil consumption from new and after a couple attemts by Ford to fix it with rings, guides ect. a tsb or something came down the pipeline that some blocks got out that had too much nickel causing them to be so hard the rings couldn't seat. They warranteed his block and cured the oil consumption.
I had a Ford cast iron 4 bbl. intake once that didn't have the hole drilled for the coil mount. I tried to drill it and after ruining 3 drill bits, hadn't even left a mark.

Also at the top of the list for high nickel blocks is the Olds 330 and early 350 blocks.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

willow all i know is if the block is that hard then you should polish the cyl walls for chrome moly rings instead they take the longest to seat but when they do its done and they are the hardest ring avail. i run the plain moly rings and they seated at about 2500miles oil pressure is at 52lbs at 3400rpm cast rings are factory ones to my knowledge.

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I remember the chrome rings. For a while they were all the buzz then it got to be the word that nobody could make them seat and everyone that tried them ended up with horrible oil consumption. I have always used the iron/moly rings with good results. I hone them a little rougher than some guys do and break them in hard. No high rpms but about a dozen hard pulls folowed by decelerating against the engine compression. At that point the rings are seated.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Tim P.
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Tim P. »

You are correct about the chromies good for high rpm racing they don't break and hold to extreme heat and abuse my rings are the black moly coated as you speak of the chrome might do well in a nitrous or alcohol burning engines as they will suffer cyl. oil wash of the walls make some sence to me sound right to you ?

cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

willowbilly3,I wish would Love and give alot for a Block that was that Hard...Man the things that you could do and the Power that could be made.... :twisted:
Chris