correct 360 oil filter

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

Jondon

correct 360 oil filter

Post by Jondon »

I just had a post for an oil leak on shutdown which appears to be solved by changing the filter. Now I have a new question...

My truck is ’71 engine and body on a ’78 4x4 frame. The recommended oil filter for the '71 360 is about 5â€Â
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

re: correct 360 oil filter

Post by flyboy2610 »

When I got my truck, the oil filter on my 390 was in the vertical position and making contact with the frame crossmember. The parts man told me to use a 3/4 quart Dodge filter.
It fit perfectly and was shorter, so it has clearance from the crossmember.
Here are some filters which should work for you:
Puolator L-2081
AC PF20
Wix 51068
NAPA 1068
Fram PH43
Chrysler 3549957
Hastings LF196
Good luck. :)
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

Assuming you have the spin on type try motorcraft FL1A it is a geniue ford replacement.
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Sorry but first off I wouidn't use one of the Shorty Filters..there's been alot of BAD reviews on useing one on the FE's.

If your useing the Vertical adapter and have clearance problems use the Horazonal Adapter as it is what should be in a Truck because of the Clearance Problems.
******* SEE PIC's Below ********

I use "WIX" Brand this is also used by NAPA and they just put there Name on it.

I wouldn't use the "Fram" Brand,as there have been alot of problems with there filters,you can sometimes cut them open (out of the box) and you'll find metal in the Filter.this has been a highly talked about Topic over at the FE.com forum.

Also useing the WIX filter I saw an improvement in Oil Pressure,it went up by just putting one on.

**** This is the "horazonal" that was used in the Trucks

**** This is the "Vertical"used in Cars

By useing the "horazonal" Adaptor you'll be able to use the Proper Oil Filter.

Now I use the Vertical adaptor but have made a few changes to make it work in my set-up.
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Here's a good Link to read about Oil Filters and most other studies have come to this same conclusion..

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html
Chris
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Chris, thanks for the great info on filters. I wasn't aware that the short filters had problems and would have just advised to use one for the easy fix. Maybe a change of filters would get my oil pressure back up (wishful thinking).
Also I seem to remember the Highboys used the vertical filter, the horizontal one had clearance problems on them it seems, fwiw.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

What are the problems with the "short" filter.

Thats the filter called for on most mustang and crown vic police cars due to the oil cooler. FL300 I think it is. same base and such as the FL1a, just about half the length.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Jondon

Post by Jondon »

Thanks for all the info. I have a horizontal adaptor now but it looks like a vertical adaptor might actually work better for me. I’ll look for one.

Great article Chris, thanks for that.

Logically, a larger filter should need to be changed less often so would be preferable for that reason alone if you can use one.

When I looked at filters yesterday, my first thought was that the flow through the filter would be restricted by inlet /outlet hole sizes in the can. I looked at quite a few different brands and it seemed that these holes were the same size on both the longer and shorter cans so I figured that the shorter filter would be ok.

Hmmm, but it also makes sense that more oil can get through a filter with greater surface area…I guess the question is, what restricts the oil first - the filter material itself or the inlet /outlet holes in the can.

Just for shits and giggles I sent a mail to the author of that oil filter article (Russ Knize) to see what his opinion was on the subject of filter size. I’ll let you know if I hear anything.

John
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

While it would seem that bigger is better and for some reasons it is, most new cars use a puny little thing about the size of a soup can and the reccomended oil change interval is 6000 miles. Now taking into consideration the manufacturer has to warranty the engine for 60,000 miles and most cars can easily make it past 200,000 anymore, I have to wonder where physical size alone actually has any difference. If the shorter ones aren't as good it probably isn't because of their size.
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

DuckRyder,

I just did a search but found nothing so far...It was a topic that came up at FE.com forum...
I'll look again sometime and see if I can find it.
Chris
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

The filter that was on my truck was a 1 quart filter.
All those mentioned in my previous post are 3/4 quart filters.
After 3 years, I have detected no adverse affects. 8)
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Sorry if I mislead anyone,I'm speaking of the Short-Short Filters that come on all the new Car and Trucks.

When you tell some people to use a Short filter they get the Really Short one and thats the one you should not use..

Sorry flyboy2610 if you took it as attack...:P

This type of short filter:
They are about 4-5" tall..Some have used them and lost a good engine due to them..
Chris
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I think if you talked to a knowledgable Fram rep you would hear something like this " You shouldn't use a filter just because it will spin on and not leak. Cetain cars have different requirements for a filter and each part number is designed to fit the factory specs for its listed application"
Now while that may be somewhere in a gray area between fact and cop out there is some truth. Maybe the small filters application doesn't require the same check valve or bypass pressure. I think most filters have a breakout pressure where they will bypass if clogged. I seem to remember something about using a filter form AMC ( back when they still existed) because it had a higher bypass pressure or something.
Chris, I hope I don't sound like I am disagreeing with you, I am just trying to explore scenarios that would maybe answer why the shortys have been targeted as the blame for engine failure. I would be interested to know exactly what it was about the filter that ruined the engine.
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Yes, your right !! On New Car/Truck's Engines they will work fine and you should use what the Factory Spec's say to use.

I was only talking about the FE's as that's what Engine we we're talking about at the time and you should NOT use one on the 352-360-390-428..FE's

But some of the Info I posted also can be used when useing Oil Filters on NEW Car/Trucks..

On my 2001 Chrysler I dont use Fram....ect. I use the WIX Brand as I have cut a few open over the Yrs and have seen some good some bad ones out there.I also dont change the Oil in the Car every 3000 miles,I change the Filter and Add 1qt. every 3300 and do a full Oil change at 7000 miles and the Oil looks No different at 7000 as it would at 3000 But thats because I use Mobile 1 and thats all I use the the Chrysler.

Each is to his own on how they want to do there Oil and Filters (Not being a Smart A$$)

BTW..I just Found out what "Mo Fo Racing" stood for this past weekend....lol anyone else here know?
Chris
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I didn't take it as an attack, Cobra.
I was just trying to clarify that the filters I mentioned weren't the 'shorties', which I wouldn't use either, :hi: