@#$% Ford engineers!

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

Rockcrusher

@#$% Ford engineers!

Post by Rockcrusher »

Had to change the starter on my 360 this morning and I gotta tell ya, it was a major PITA. I figured it to be a half hour job, tops . . . Took me that long to get the top bolt out . . . And another half hour to get it back in. :cry: :cry:

OK, rant over! I feel better now!
Rockcrusher
http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com
Ignorance is sticking your hand in the fire 'cause you don't know what it is ... Stupidity is doing it a second time.
crazy larry

re: @#$% Ford engineers!

Post by crazy larry »

That top bolt is a bitch.

your not running headers are you?
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
4x4x4crewcab
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 4x4x4crewcab »

:yt: even with stock manifolds.(PITA) I replaced my starter this summer
with a lifetime warranty 29.99 rebuild. I fought that bolt, installed the starter and nothin----junk rebuild. Took it back off and started over with another starter. Was not impressed with the design
Mark
1970 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 short box
1969 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia
1999 Ford Windstar
1983 Chevrolet Silverado p/u
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1998 Lincoln Town Car
Does your truck need emblems? Check out http://www.onceuponapart.com
Rockcrusher

Re: re: @#$% Ford engineers!

Post by Rockcrusher »

crazy larry wrote:That top bolt is a bitch.

your not running headers are you?
Nope! Stock manifolds . . . There's gotta be a better way.
Rockcrusher
http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com
Ignorance is sticking your hand in the fire 'cause you don't know what it is ... Stupidity is doing it a second time.
lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

seems like I got to that bolt from behind the starter with a long extension :hmm:
'71 F-100
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I think a 6 inch extension is just about right, anyway choose a combination that just gives you room to swing the ratchet past the tail end of the starter. Start the other two bolts and leave them just loose emough to shake the starter a little. Put a piece of electrical tape over the bolthead and force the socket on. This will hold it in the socket. A 6 point socket is best. Stick the bolt into the hole (put a little hair around it if that helps lol) Wiggle the starter as you start the bolt. Make sure before you put the starter in that the bolt you have threads easily into the hole.
Tightening the other two bolts first is a surefire exercise in futility.
Also an old trick I have used for ever on my extensions is to put a 3/4 inch long section of heater hose over the end of an extension. This makes spinning in bolts much easier. You can also get those little spinner knobs that act as a very short extension.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

You think thats bad try the wiper motor some time :cuss:
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Comet »

Yeah, and to top it off, of all the big 3, the Ford starters are notiously the most unreliable. So, not only is it hard to change, but you gotta change it more often! :cry:
NM5K
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by NM5K »

hummm...I had to change my starter about a week ago. It started starting "slow" for about a week, and then it just crapped out, and made a puff of smoke. :lol: I guess I'm lucky with the six, as the starter on it is a piece of cake. I changed it in the dark with a flashlight, and it took about 10 min r@r...
I bought a new one with a lifetime warranty, so if it dies, the next is free. "almost every part I buy has a lifetime warranty"...My truck is loaded with them...
Myself, I kind of like ford starters. I think they are easier to install than most chevy starters. A chevy starter is pretty easy to slap on, but must be shimmed properly in order to avoid the nasty sound, and a buggered up flywheel on down the line. Many ignore this, and then you hear them later with a starter that sounds like it's shearing teeth off... In the long run, it is.... :P Another thing about GM starters is the solenoid...When they get old or hot, they start to act up, and then you have to swat them with a stick, or let them cool off before they will start. Fords don't do this much. Ford also has the solenoid up on the wheel well, where it's easy to change, and sees less heat.. I think mopar starters have the funkiest sound... :hmm: But they seem to be more like fords, than GM as far as the overall design... MK
1968 F-250 / 300 six / T-18
Dana 60 - 4.10 Limited Slip
flyboy2610
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by flyboy2610 »

I have an Interstate Megatron in my '68 F100, and have found it very reliable. I always get the largest CCA rating I can fit into the vehicle. I have 1000 amp's in my truck and Taurus, but the wife's Topaz has a 650 cause a 1000 wouldn't fit. :x
Starters do not like heat, so if you have headers make sure you put a starter blanket on it or you will have plenty of practice replacing starters. :$$:
muchtomydelight

Post by muchtomydelight »

I have a 1150 CCA battery made for catapillars, single alt (0 guage) welding lead going to both the solenoid and to the starter. I rebuilt the starter about 6 months ago because an oil leak caused it to crap out. Works better than ever now. And it being a stick and all, I have pushed it off more times than i care to admit, simply because i have not broken down and bought a good new 100 amp alternator. The first rebuilt one, the brushes dug into the commutator until there was nothing left. it was under warrenty.
oldschoolrods
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by oldschoolrods »

my starter went out today, i got that top bolt out with my custom 30inch extention - 2 10inchs a 6 inch and a 4 inch all put together, worked good. its a fun one to get out with headers though, now i have to buy a new header gasket!!