Replaced carb now won't start

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

b-dawg71

Replaced carb now won't start

Post by b-dawg71 »

Hi all,
I'm new here and I see from the post that you guys know just about all the answers or know where to find them. I have a 71 F100 custom with a 79 302 stock eng. I just replaced the carb with a reman motor craft. I replaced all the hoses and tried to fire it up. It ran for about 10 sec then shut off. I narrowed the problem to a vacuum leak some where. Does anyone have a photo of a stock 302 eng with detailed side and front pics? Some good ole boys put a shade tree seal on some of the lines and I’m trying to get lines hooked up correctly.
bumt72

re: Replaced carb now won't start

Post by bumt72 »

Not a stock 302, but the 61 has a 302 with a motor craft 2bbl, I could get pictures of that if you want.
Kep

1972 F250 Da Big Ugly Man TruckDa BUMT
1961 F100 Stepside (Father/Daughter Project)UnNamed
b-dawg71

Post by b-dawg71 »

:clap: that would be great. i got it started today but it will only run if i hold the pedal to the floor. I'm almost there, thanks for the help.
bumt72

Post by bumt72 »

Hmmmm, not sure if these are going to help you track down vacume problems, I could only find 2 lines running off the carb, 1 to the distributor and 1 to the valve cover. Anyway here are the pictures.

Kep

lobuck76

Post by lobuck76 »

My bet is that you got a bad carburator. Some of the reman carbs are junk.
'71 F-100
b-dawg71

Post by b-dawg71 »

One question, where does that hose to the left go to? you have the fuel hose on the front and right around the corner to the left is another hose. it's on the 5th picture you sent. also on my carb the levers on the left has a spring pulling towards the cab and there is a cable running back to the control arm not a rod. the truck fired today for about 2 to 3 minutes. i had to keep the pedal to the floor for it to run.
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cobraF100 »

Welcome b-dawg71,Glad to have you aboard. :wel:

I see your in the Army,where are you Stationed at?

My Wife is in Iraq at this time and we are stationed at Fort Hood,TX.
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
bumt72

Post by bumt72 »

That hose is running to my distributor. I didn't quite understand which levers you were talking about. The one on the choke? Also when you say you had to keep the pedal to the floor, how was the engine running? Meaning was it running as it normally would with the pedal depressed or was it bairly running? Also when you took your foot off of the gas did it imediately die or did it stumble to a halt?
Kep

willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

You seem to have a major vacuum leak. Make sure there isn't a major hose off like the one for the PCV valve or brake booster. The other area would be the carb base gasket. Take the carb back off and check the gasget to the manifold and to the intake for proper seal. Check If you still have the egr plate under the carb you need to check that too. If you have the wrong hose to it, like direct manifold vacuum, it would open up and make a serious lean condition at idle. Also those will carbon up and hang open.
All that being said, I agree that over the counter reman carbs generally tend to be junk. I would rather take my chances with one from the junkyard. When in the repair business I would refuse to even put one on a customers car because it was about a 90% chance it wouldn't work right.
Maybe too late for you now but for any other readers, The 2bbl. motorcraft is one of the simplest carbs to work on. Buy a kit and a float, can of Berryman's B-12, and rebuild your own. But first make sure the ignition system is up to snuff, cap rotor, wires ect. All too often the carb gets targeted for drivabilty problems when it was actually not the culpret.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
b-dawg71

Post by b-dawg71 »

first to Bumt72- well when i took my foot off the pedal it just died right there. it was running like it was just started and sitting there. normal idel no rough spots, but let off the pedal and it died. the levers are on the right side as you look at it, the throttle rod is connected to them.
CobraF100, i'm stationed at Polk right now and i jsut got back from Iraq about 3 months ago with 2d ACR.
Wilowbilly3, i ahd a friend take a look at it but he is as mistified as me. i took the carb off to check the gasket and it's the right one on there but i'll check again.

thanks for your help
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

Take the carb back and get a different one. If you have checked the base gasket and haven't changed anything else then God only knows what might be wrong with it. If you havent given them back the core yet you might even consider just getting your money back, I have seen many times that it would be easier to fix the old carb than make the reman work..
b-dawg71

Post by b-dawg71 »

hi all again,
well i finaly got it up and running and now i'm driving. thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions. now i can move on to th next project...getting the body fixed. :clap:
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

So what was the problem?
b-dawg71

Post by b-dawg71 »

don't really know but it started up and it's been running ever since. i took all the hoses off except two and plugged them up. I had replaced the distrib cap and rotor just in case and the spark advance, cleaned the plugs and that didn't help. i re-did the seal around the bottom gasket and cleaned out the base plate and still it didn't start, then one day i just plugged all the lines and put two back on, one for the fuel line and one for the spark advance and it started right up :hmm: