Do "H" crossovers help?

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

jck_in_nc

Do "H" crossovers help?

Post by jck_in_nc »

newer cars and trucks have crossovers for their dual exhausts. These are supposed to even out the exhaust pulses. Also, what is the best sounding, best appearence place to bring out the pipes (side in front of wheels, side behind wheels, rear)?

jck
cobraF100
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: Do "H" crossovers help?

Post by cobraF100 »

YES Cross overs Help.

They come in the "H" Pipe or as an "X" Pipe the "X" pipe is a little better but either one will help you and it will change the Sound a little mainly with the "X" you will hear the difference

Mine are turn downs,they turn down just before the Rear end it's one of those thing you'll have to Test fit a few different ways to see what you like.
Chris
Never Forget Our Soldiers
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

A crossover smoothes out the impulses, aids cylinder scavenging, and reduces backpressure in comparison to a standard dual exhaust. Torque increases slightly with the use of one. It also (in effect) doubles the frequency experienced by both pipes and mufflers which reduce the rumble in the exhaust and provide a smoother tone.

Not using one will simply make the exhaust sound more lopey, and run slightly less efficient.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
jck_in_nc

Post by jck_in_nc »

Who's "X" pipe seems to work well? I have a '67 longbed with 3-speed. All the data indicates money spent here is money well spent...especially on headders.

jck
TheImpaler

Post by TheImpaler »

I can't help on the X-over, other than to say I am planning to toss one in soon.

In regards to the appearance, it's all up to what you like. Personally, I like a lot of styles. I had duals out the back, about 14" to either side of the truck center. They're nice, but I am getting tired of the look. Not to mention the fact that they're exposed if someone rear-ends me.
I really like a dual exit in front of the rear tires. Either one pipe each side, 2 on one side, or 2 on both sides via a "one-in, two-out" muffler.

I would personally steer clear of the dual exits behind the rear wheel. My dad has that setup and I am not a fan.

As cobra said, you'll have to test, but there are some thoughts for you. Let me know if you would like pics of our setups.

-Patrick
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I read a dyno test on a high tech X pipe a couple years ago and it was pretty impressive. Ford has been using the H pipe since the early 60s. There is also an optimal locating point for the X but I can't remember how they determined that. Maybe it was right where the new pipes turn blue.
I have always liked my exhaust out the stock location but usually whacked them off enough to keep the tire from throwing a lot of mud ot ice up there as the weight will tear up your system. My 69 has them in front of the wheels with some mellow turbo type mufflers and it is real livable. Of course it's a crew cab so they are still back there a ways. I never liked them out the back under the bumper because I used to routinely back up to banks and such to load stuff like 4 wheelers. Even backing into a frozen snowbank will damage them.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Faithful Old Road Dog
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Faithful Old Road Dog »

I don't like pipes out the back either. For the reasons listed and also I'd hate to be hooking up a trailer with the pipes back there.
BigRedTruck
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by BigRedTruck »

the book i read last night said that it helped the exhaust be melow....otherwise it sounds like gunshots or something
69 F-100 2wd 360 cid C6
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head
Comet
Preferred User
Preferred User

Do "H" crossovers help?

Post by Comet »

willowbilly3 wrote:There is also an optimal locating point for the X but I can't remember how they determined that. Maybe it was right where the new pipes turn blue.
You are basically right on the location. I read a neat tip that you can spray paint your exhaust and where the paint burns through is where the pipe should go. Doesn't take as long as waiting for the blue to show up. Hopefully that location is somewhere that the cross-over can be mounted (ie no obstructions).