390FE (406ci) for #50, built by Tom Lucas at FE Specialties.

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

70_F100

Re: 390FE (406ci) for #50, built by Tom Lucas at FE Specialties.

Post by 70_F100 »

Man, Robroy, that's AWESOME!!! :thup:

I was sitting here in my hotel room watching your video, and had a real, honest-to-goodness "Brain Fart"!!! :doh:

I know you've got a LOT of money in the T18 rebuild, so you're probably not interested in my opinion on this, but, if you could find a close-ratio (4.02:1 first gear) T19 to put in that monster, so that you'd have four gears instead of three, it would REALLY make your truck COME ALIVE!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

That's not an oil leak :nono: That's SWEAT from all that HORSEPOWER!! :thup:
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

robroy wrote:
BobbyFord wrote:I'll bet you can't wait to take it out for a real mashing.
Yes I'm definitely looking forward to that! I will have to work up to it though. Not only does the engine need to get broken in (I'll be super careful with it for at least the first 500 miles), but I've never driven anything like this before and I need to get comfortable with it. A wide-open-throttle experience is certainly in order, but may not happen for a while! So far, I haven't even really nudged it.
Just wait, if its anything like mine it'll take days to wipe the grin off of your face...

And it does sound good!
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

It took a while, but Ive read all. whatta finished product, and what a rough road to the finish. Congrats, you should write a book. :thup:
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
sport71
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by sport71 »

Robroy, I know that exited feeling you are talking about. Just wait till you pounce on that gas, like DuckRyder said "it'll take days to wipe the grin off of your face..." It happend to me. I still can't take that grin off. Congrats bro you have done a great job :thup:
Those who do not learn the lessons of history, are doomed to repeat it.
robroy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by robroy »

Good evening 70_F100, Robert, ManCar1, and Ruben, thanks for the superb replies!
70_F100 wrote:Man, Robroy, that's AWESOME!!! :thup:
Thanks--it was quite an event!
70_F100 wrote:I was sitting here in my hotel room watching your video, and had a real, honest-to-goodness "Brain Fart"!!! :doh:

I know you've got a LOT of money in the T18 rebuild, so you're probably not interested in my opinion on this, but, if you could find a close-ratio (4.02:1 first gear) T19 to put in that monster, so that you'd have four gears instead of three, it would REALLY make your truck COME ALIVE!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
I think you're probably right about this! I'll probably own another Bumpside some day to transplant this T18 in to, so the investment wouldn't be wasted (if I did decide to change to a T19). The T19 gears would almost certainly be better for joy-rides!
DuckRyder wrote:Just wait, if its anything like mine it'll take days to wipe the grin off of your face...
Excellent!!! I remember hearing that your engine has two distinct personalities, and I suspect that the same may be true with this one!
DuckRyder wrote:And it does sound good!
Thanks Robert!!!
Mancar1 wrote:It took a while, but Ive read all. whatta finished product, and what a rough road to the finish. Congrats, you should write a book. :thup:
Thank you ManCar1! It has indeed been a rough road, and I've learned some valuable lessons. I'm extremely happy with how it's turning out!
sport71 wrote:Robroy, I know that exited feeling you are talking about. Just wait till you pounce on that gas, like DuckRyder said "it'll take days to wipe the grin off of your face..." It happend to me. I still can't take that grin off. Congrats bro you have done a great job :thup:
Thanks Ruben! Even though I haven't pushed the engine at all, I can tell that things get very interesting during the final 3/4 of the gas pedal. One of the reasons I haven't given it more throttle is that I don't want to launch my flexible exhaust tubing setup in to outer space!

On Thursday night I took #50 for its second-ever real test drive, but the exhaust fumes were really getting sucked in to the cab (due to the marvelous combination of the temporary tubing and having no transmission hump cover installed)! So this morning I installed the cover and that made a huge difference.

Here's this afternoon's test-drive (finally in the day time)!

High Quality H.264 (97MB) Medium Quality WMV (100MB)

70_F100, Robert, ManCar1, and Ruben, thanks again for your fantastic replies!!!
Robroy
Last edited by robroy on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

You might be a redneck if:

You drive your truck without a hood.

You drive around with your left turn signal on all the time.

You keep you tranny tunnel cover off so you can spit your 'bacco juice out easier.

Your exhaust is held on with coat hangers.

It's getting there :)

Jamie
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
mkpj1

Post by mkpj1 »

This thread is great. Finally finished. No hood! Shoot, I didn't have my windshield when I first drove mine. :lol: . The looks were priceless! Everybody looks now and people are always coming up wanting to check everything out. Better get ready! :thup:

Thanks for all the posts. :wink:
Ken
Greenville, SC

68 F100 LWB 390
67 LTD 390(4V T-bird Special)
74 Bronco 351W

"I sincerely believe... that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity under the name of funding is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:23
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

Awesome replies to Robroy's video :lol:
:pop:
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

Sitting in the hotel room again watching "The Continuing Saga of #50" :D and it's AWESOME!!! It's come a LONGGGGGGGGGGGGG way since the "PU" debaucle!!! :thup:

About the only thing I can say is, "SAWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!" :hd:

That video proved to me that a T19, top loader or C6 would make that monster come alive!!!! :woohoo:

Sorry, Robroy, but that T18 may as well be a "three-on-the-tree" :doh: :doh: and it just doesn't do that engine justice!!!! :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.--Plato
Why is it that there's seldom time to fix it right the first time, but there's always time to fix it right the second time???

Mancar1
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!
Location: USS Gramps Garage (DD-727) Tehama County, Northern Ca.

Post by Mancar1 »

Ranchero50 wrote:You might be a redneck if:

You drive your truck without a hood.

You drive around with your left turn signal on all the time.

You keep you tranny tunnel cover off so you can spit your 'bacco juice out easier.

Your exhaust is held on with coat hangers.

It's getting there :)

Jamie
Holy catfish Batman, I must be a redneck. Also have used an old bumpseat on cinderblocks for a couch. :thup:
May your sails stay full, and your knots not slip. Unless a slip knot.
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.
Life is a banquet, and every days a feast.
68 F-250 CS 390 C-6 P/S A/C front disc. 2nd owner.
2016 GMC Terrain Denali 301 HP V-6 AWD.
2009 Silverado Crew Cab, V-8, 4X4.
DD-727
DD-806
AE-35
LSD-39
AS-41
AR-8
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

:nono: I hope you gentlemen are not suggesting that there is some sort of problem with being a redneck? :o

Nice video, robroy go ahead and fess up you did the donut visible in the intersection at about 45 seconds already right? :P
Robert

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
mkpj1

Post by mkpj1 »

DuckRyder wrote::nono: I hope you gentlemen are not suggesting that there is some sort of problem with being a redneck? :o

Nice video, robroy go ahead and fess up you did the donut visible in the intersection at about 45 seconds already right? :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doubt that would be the case on this board! :lol: :lol:

Shoot I started a motor on a tire with a C6 attached no less. Pumping tranny fluid onto the ground. More like who is the BIGGEST redneck here!! Rob running up and down his driveway 50 ft,..no hood,..but a expensive camera taped to dash. Bobby in a white T-shirt,...INSIDE the engine bay running in an engine in,...not a single stain and the engine is perfect! :lol: :lol: Keep it coming!

Speaking of donuts Rob,..heres a challenge,...we need a donut/drift in that bump around some hot girls!! Preferably with no hood. That would definitely win biggest redneck on Fordification!
Ken
Greenville, SC

68 F100 LWB 390
67 LTD 390(4V T-bird Special)
74 Bronco 351W

"I sincerely believe... that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity under the name of funding is but swindling futurity on a large scale." --Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor, 1816. ME 15:23
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

mkpj1 wrote:...Speaking of donuts Rob,..heres a challenge,...we need a donut/drift in that bump around some hot girls!! Preferably with no hood. That would definitely win biggest redneck on Fordification!
Now THAT would make for an awesome video!! How 'bout it, Robroy?
70_F100

Post by 70_F100 »

BobbyFord wrote:
mkpj1 wrote:...Speaking of donuts Rob,..heres a challenge,...we need a donut/drift in that bump around some hot girls!! Preferably with no hood. That would definitely win biggest redneck on Fordification!
Now THAT would make for an awesome video!! How 'bout it, Robroy?
:yt:

DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

mkpj1 wrote:Speaking of donuts Rob,..heres a challenge,...we need a donut/drift in that bump around some hot girls!!
That doesn't sound like a good idea (or very safe) from a number of angles...
Robert