Painting my intake

Engine Forum Archives

Moderator: Ranchero50

dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Painting my intake

Post by dotcentral »

Finally got my 4 barrel Intake bead blasted and started painting it. Its a 65 cast iron ford part. Was red, but I'm painting it blue to match my 70 302. I'm sure it's the lo-po 289 intake. What's a good ford site to look up the part number?

About painting engine components, doesn't seem to be much discussion on this in the sites I visit, I found one post on the FTE site. My question is, is primering necessary? I've started fogging on my Plasti-Coat hi temp Ford blue. Figured I'd do multiple light coats to get good coverage and hopefully a little durability. Is this going to work? I've never seen hi-temp primer. The bead blasting put a nice texture to the intake, hoping that helps adhesion.

Also, I forgot to remove the sheet metal cover on the bottom of the intake. Was hoping the guys blasting it would take it off but no luck on that one. Figure I need to do that to clean it up and make sure no grit is in there after the blasting.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

re: Painting my intake

Post by FORDification »

You'll DEFINITELY want to make sure that bottom cover gets removed and cleaned up prior to installation, since you said you'd bead-blasted the top. There will be enough crap that got down in there that would find it's way into the engine once installed, if you don't remove it now.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone using a primer with hi-temp engine paint. I didn't with the 455 in my 442, and other than the few places the paint got nicked when I was installing the engine (DOH!) it looks good after many years. I definitely think you're doing the right thing with multiple thin coats vs. 1-2 thick coats.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

What is the casting # on the intake. I have some general info here that might ID it better for ya.

Most definitly get that cleaned out under that sheet metal cover. You are asking for trouble if you don't.
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

Figured I'd need to remove the cover.

Part number is 15426378. J/k. Part # is C50E-9425-A. I was told it came off a mustang, but who knows. Could be a falcon, fairlane, etc. I think the guy has a set of heads from the same engine. I doubt they'd be anything special though.
Former owner of 70 LB SportCustom and a 71 SB SportCustom. Looking for a replacement bump!
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

C50E-9425 -A

C5 = year built "1965"

0 = model "Fairlane"

E = warehoused "unknown". If this was an "X" it would have been a muscle car part (HI-PO).

9425 = identifies what the part is "intake"

A = the revision (how many time this part has been revised)

Hope this helps.
Greg

dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

E = warehoused "unknown"
Thanks Heep. I knew it was a 65. What does the "E" part mean? Is it a code for regular production items, or service/replacement parts?

What were the HP ratings on the 289's these manifolds were used on? Something like 220?

Good to know about the "X" code. What years does the "X" hold true for?
O=Fairlane
does this refer to the car or the engine? I think I remember reading somewhere these engines where known as fairlane series of engines since they were designed for the early fairlanes. I don't know if that would have been a Ford term or a term someone else might have used to differentiate between these and the Y blocks.
Last edited by dotcentral on Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

okay, am I done now?

Post by dotcentral »

I got the cover off pretty easy. There was some crap in there, got it all out, but what about the thing that looks like a plug with a hex head/large allen head recess? Does that come out? Not sure that it can. I'm thinking that i just need to go over the area and underside of the sheet metal cover with brake cleaner and put the baffle back on and call it done.

I know this thing is to help cold starts. Is it just a reservoir to hold exhaust gas, keeping a little warm exhaust under the manifold to help gas atomization?
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

I am not real familiar with the 90 degree V8s. The 289 V4 had 225hp. The head volume is smaller on the 289 heads allowing it to have a 10:1 compression.

The "E" was were the part was to be warehoused until assembly.

The "O" stands for which boby style the part was made for, a Failane in your case.

The plug in the bottom of the manifold is another access hole. Don't worry about it.

A cool book to have is "Ford Performance". It has a burnt yellow color cover with four pictures of engines on the front. There is a great deal of info and specs on all the older Ford engines.
Greg

jreb333

Re: re: Painting my intake

Post by jreb333 »

heep70 wrote:
The "O" stands for which boby style the part was made for, a Failane in your case.
i dated a girl with "O" boby's once lol

sorry i couldnt help myself
JESUS LOVES YOU! everyone else thinks your a jackass!
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

I don't think there was any difference in the 289 heads unless you had a K code Hipo. Right now the GT40P heads are the best factory head. They are out og production at Ford but you can find lots of them on ebay and I think it was Ssummit that had them ready to go for under $600 a pair. That's not bad considering you can sink almost that much into rebuilding crappy wheezers.
I always just rattlecan my engines and always manage to muck up the paintjob getting the engine stabbed. Usually just a bunch of greasy pawprints all over but it's hard to get an engine in with the paint unscathed.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by 68F250 »

Guys, the "E" means it's an engine part.

Even though the "O" means Fairlane, it was also used on all the compact and intermediate cars.

Don't try to remove that plug, you might break the intake before it comes out.

I don't recall any cast iron high performance intakes for the smallblock.
dotcentral
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by dotcentral »

I don't recall any cast iron high performance intakes for the smallblock.
Were the "K" codes intakes aluminum ?

I don't plan on hot rodding this, just was a good deal (I think) from a friend on the intake and a vacuum secondary holley.