pros and cons of straight pipes

Engine-related FAQs

Moderator: Ranchero50

greasemonkey060

pros and cons of straight pipes

Post by greasemonkey060 »

before i weld up a new exhaust system i was wondering iof someone could give me the lowdown on straight pipes... something about warping valves..

for awhile i was gonna run straight pipes from the headers to right angle bends out under the bed in front of the rear wheels.. ive also noticed a popping sound when trying to slow down in a low gear at high speeds..

can someone fill me in on whats going on?????

-brandon
'64 F100 SWB 8" notch, & triangulated four link w/ 2600 Firestone bags out back.
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.
68F250
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

re: pros and cons of straight pipes

Post by 68F250 »

Headers and straight pipes exiting in front of the rear wheels:

I would worry more about your ears than the valves. :D
Barry

"Are you gonna make it all 220?"
"Yeah 220, 221, whatever it takes."
bwc302

Post by bwc302 »

the popping is from back pressure being released through the exhaust
it will also change your air/fuel mixture (if I remember correctly it will cause the vehicle to run a little rich).

noise will be a huge factor in running open exhaust and depending on where you live could also get you a ticket for it.
heep70
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by heep70 »

LOUD :eek: I did that when I was younger. I got sick of it after about a week. Couldn't here anybody in the cab while running down the road. Sounded good though. :evil:
Greg

1971 F250 "Highboy". SOLD to "Highboy_Firefighter_71"
2000 Subaru Outback limited.
2000 F250 4X4 PSD SuperDuty Crew.
2010 Polaris 800RMK Dragon 155"
2013 Polaris Pro 800 RMK 163"
1980 Built Toyota "Trail Rig".
My last 1971 "Highboy" pics
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by willowbilly3 »

If you do it run them on out the back. Some cars are more forgiving than others. One friend picked me up in a cherry 85 Elky with flowmasters and after 5 miles I was ready to walk. Another buddy has headers and straight pipes on a 305 in his 48 F-1 (out the back) and it isn't bad to ride in at all.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Nefarious67

Post by Nefarious67 »

Warping valves Occur from running NO headers or exhaust manifolds. when you have an exaust system heat is transfered from the head into the manifold or header. When the enging cools off it allows things to cool evenly since everything is warm and there is warm air up next to the vavles. If you run No headers or exhaust and you shut the engine off cool air can be sucked back into the head and cause the vavles to cool at a faster rate than the head and crack them. This is what i was told since i have never run an engine without manifolds as I was advised to never do it.

opps forgot----if you are running egr ( which im 99% sure you arent) straight pipes will mess it up. Egr has to have back pressure to help it work and with straigth pipes, well less backpressure is the point! unless you count just being noisy :lol:
crazy larry

Post by crazy larry »

i too have heard in the past that open headers will burn or warp exhaust valves, but in all my 33 years, i've never actually MET ANYONE who could prove this.

PRO= loud as hell.
CON= loud as hell. :wink:
Larry

'72 F-250 Kustom 396 c.i.
Fotoes
greasemonkey060

Re: re: pros and cons of straight pipes

Nefarious67 wrote:Warping valves Occur from running NO headers or exhaust manifolds. when you have an exaust system heat is transfered from the head into the manifold or header. When the enging cools off it allows things to cool evenly since everything is warm and there is warm air up next to the vavles. If you run No headers or exhaust and you shut the engine off cool air can be sucked back into the head and cause the vavles to cool at a faster rate than the head and crack them. This is what i was told since i have never run an engine without manifolds as I was advised to never do it.

opps forgot----if you are running egr ( which im 99% sure you arent) straight pipes will mess it up. Egr has to have back pressure to help it work and with straigth pipes, well less backpressure is the point! unless you count just being noisy :lol:
thanks a lot! now i wont worry as much..
'64 F100 SWB 8" notch, & triangulated four link w/ 2600 Firestone bags out back.
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.
greasemonkey060

Re: re: pros and cons of straight pipes

crazy larry wrote: PRO= loud as hell.
CON= loud as hell. :wink:
haha good point
'67 F100 SWB STOCK.
berad357

Post by berad357 »

Back in my hot-rod days, an old flat-head guru told me this about exhaust. Keep 'em straight as possible. If you elect to install glass packs or mufflers, paint the exhaust pipes and let the paint dry. Then go run the truck like you intend break the sound barrier. After 20-30 minutes shut it down, let it cool and see where the paint stopped burning off. Where it ends burning off is the best place for the muffling device to begin. If you intend to go open with side exits use sweeping angle. No tight bends. I do miss my hearing.
Brad Burns
Stand Tall I The Face Of Adversity
greenbank

Post by greenbank »

How come loud pipes are fun when they're your vehicle but annoying as hell when they're someone else's? I try to remember the latter when deciding about the former. :D
1968 F250 Ranger Camper Special
-- 360, AT, PS, PB, disks
-- See Goldie
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

well your pretty much doing what I just did ( Pictures in my gallery ). I dont know if you read my other thread but I straight piped it and kicked it out infront of the back tires. i like like the sound alot, but i have only run it in the garage ( with the doors open of course ) beucase im waiting for some drop brackets for my front i-beams, so it cant go anywere. If it is just too loud when i get the chance to run it outside, then ill go ahead and put some mufflers on it.
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by boots »

by the way, does anyone know if backfire can hurt your truck in any way?
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
rjewkes
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by rjewkes »

depends on where it comes from. If from The carb the worst i personally know of is the carb can catch fire and atleast get gummed up.If out the pipes i have no idea. I thought i had been told that backfire in the exhuast can cuase head damage but i don't think i have had it proven to me.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
'70 f250 4x4 Crew cab 460/C6 '72 F100 390/C6 9.8 MPG AVG. '89 Mercury Cougar LS Dual Exh. V6 . 18.9 MPG AVG. In Town.
I don't want to give em a heart-attack. That is what would happen if I answered the door in the buff. Heck it almost scares me to death when I step out of the shower and look in the mirror.~Mancar1~
fuelly.com
68swb

Post by 68swb »

i have headers and stright pipes running out the back of my 68 and it is loud. but i love it . and always say if you cant hear it is it really running. one thing to think about is if you put the exhaust in front of the rear tires the fumes and gases that come out the exhaust will turn you wheels black over time. on 97' f150s that is how the exhaust was run stock and it turned the wheel black and took a little extra time cleaning that wheel.
"I got this"

68 swb 429ci 3spd
69 lwb f250 360 4spd
75 VW superbeetle
79 F250 4X4 supercab 400 4spd
07 Fusion
08 Focus 35mpg