pros and cons of straight pipes

Engine-related FAQs

Moderator: Ranchero50

boots
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: pros and cons of straight pipes

Post by boots »

i see, have you had any trouble with the backfire you get 68'swb? The exhaust turning wheels black is ok, because im getting black wheels with my new 33's. :D

also , anyone know if straight pipes are Illegal here in Illinois?
Ethan

67 f100 - 4"lift - cut fenders - 36 TSL's
390/3spd/9"

68 f250 - 390/np435
Raised d24
'79 dana 60 front
welded 60 rear
buildup in progress
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 835#136835

69 f100- Parts truck
berad357

Post by berad357 »

I don't think that a backfire through the exhaust hurts anything but a muffler. Through the carb, time for a power valve.
Stand Tall I The Face Of Adversity
WindowsBreakerG4

Post by WindowsBreakerG4 »

Pro= Sounds awesome!

Con= Loud and can be illegal
crazyace99million

Post by crazyace99million »

i agree, i have my my tail pipes comming through the lower bed of my truck. looks sweet. my flowmasters are louder than some straight pipes
trukcrazy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by trukcrazy »

Hey Crazyace, welcome to the forum. Stop by the welcome mat and introduce yourself to everyone. John.
John, #424
1967 F250 crewcab x 2.
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quadcab
2008 Challenger SRT8
71-F-250SC-72-F-250C

Post by 71-F-250SC-72-F-250C »

Our 71 backfired through the carb and caught fire, as we were trying to start it to drive home to restore, because of neglect. I also blew the muffler on the 72 because of a backfire so now when it is cold outside the rear window fogs up. I am thinking about disconnecting the exaust from the muffler back, since it is sh*t anyways.

Stephen
71 f-250 Sport Custom-frame off in progress..again thank to irjetmachanic. :)
72 f-250 Custom
71 f-100 swb sport custom
03 mach1 mustang
cant forget my thing...haha 74 volkswagon thing.
[quote="ToughOldFord"]
Damn, 7 gallons per mile, obviously FE powered!
edmccloughloch

Post by edmccloughloch »

For anyone that wants a more subtle increase in noise, cut off the exhaust from the muffler back. I just did that on mine and it is actually a pretty decent amount of noise for a truck that has exhaust manifolds. Eventually though I will go with headers and mufflers exiting between the door and the rear tire at a ninety degree angle. I think straight pipes may be a bit too loud for me.

When I was in the process of parting out my old truck, I ran it one last time open headers after I pulled out all of interior insulation and door insides/glass...drove it through downtown...my friends thought i was going to be arrested.
The Landlord: "Are you guys starting an automobile repair shop out of my house or something?"

"No, these are all our cars."

"The three of you have eleven cars???"
Chasbod
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Chasbod »

Go for it and enjoy it for as long as you want. Your neighbors will let you know when they have had enough. :wink:

Besides, the Harley's seem to have the market share on loud at the moment....give em some competition.
71 F100 302/3.03 Project Truck Underway
1970F250
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by 1970F250 »

just run 2 cherry bombs its still real loud out side the truck but not so loud in the cab. thats what i have right now :D
Steve
binder56jd wrote: If you can't dazzle them with diamonds- baffle them with b------t
thebttmline

Post by thebttmline »

I just had the Flowmaster 50 Delta Force put on mine. They have 3 chambers in the muffler - the original Flowmasters had 2. This makes them a little bit quieter, but they still put out a nice sound.

Steve
1971 Ford F-250 4x4 Highboy - Pics
2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Sharkdance
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Sharkdance »

What ever you decide make sure to get the end of the pipes out from under the truck. Side, back, it doesnt matter as long as the exhaust is dumped out from under it.
Exhaust gas is corrosive and will accellerate the rusting of the bed of your truck if not taken care of.
Not to mention exhaust gasses seeping up from under your truck in traffic cant be too healthy either.

My pipes stick straight out on both sides right in front of the rear wheels.
Sometimes when Im in a parking lot and other cars are parked real close to me they always seem to have a mysterious black carbon mark left on them as Im leaving. :evil:

Sharkdance
campfire67

Post by campfire67 »

On my 67 I had headers with exh straight back to a two chamber flow master then it came out and 45'd out in front of the rear wheels........... Very Very nice sound and loud, the only draw back was at highway speeds, the radio and speakers I had could not overpower the sound of the exh. But was excelent around town. 8) Everybody heard me coming. PRO: everybody knows your there
CON: no sneaking home after hours.
Life is to short to worry..... be happy :D
thebttmline

Post by thebttmline »

I think out the sides is better than out the back. The pipes are in a more vulnerable spot when they come out the back. Backing up to a bank to load something or just trying to get out of a tight spot in the woods, it is a lot easier to back into something and screw up your pipes when they come out the back. :oops:

Mine come out behind the rear wheels, and since it is a highboy it is a long bed. It doesn't seem loud inside the cab but sounds nice outside.

Steve
1971 Ford F-250 4x4 Highboy - Pics
2003 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: pros and cons of straight pipes

Post by willowbilly3 »

Chasbod wrote:Go for it and enjoy it for as long as you want. Your neighbors will let you know when they have had enough. :wink:

Besides, the Harley's seem to have the market share on loud at the moment....give em some competition.
With a Harley it is considered a defensive weapon, if they can't see you they will darn sure hear you. :lol:
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.