priming oil pump on 351w

Engine-related FAQs

Moderator: Ranchero50

bigbassmann

priming oil pump on 351w

Post by bigbassmann »

We haven't installed the new 351w yet, the weather here has been pretty nasty today, just trying to get stuff figured out ahead of time.

How do we prime the oil pump and get the engine lubed before starting for the first time? Any special tools needed?
Ralph Davis
Old enough to remember when these trucks were new and I still think they are COOL!
GT-Racer
Preferred User
Preferred User

re: priming oil pump on 351w

Post by GT-Racer »

definitely wouldnt hurt. Its should have assembly lube but that is a good idea anyways. They make a long shaft you can put in your electric drill. You pull the distributor out and useyour drill to spin the oil pump.
BE VERY CAREFUL.
dont drop it in the oil pan as this creates a pain in the butt. taking the pan back off etc.
'67 F100 2wd shortbed - Beginning restoration.
351w, 5-speed, 3:70 gears (someday)

Drivin' a Chevy is Kinda Like wipin' before you poop, it just don't make no sense....:)
bigbassmann

Post by bigbassmann »

GT, can I get one of those shafts at any local parts house? Which direction do I spin it, clockwise or counter-clockwise?
Ralph Davis
Old enough to remember when these trucks were new and I still think they are COOL!
NATHANHASNORIDE

Post by NATHANHASNORIDE »

I have seen my dad use half inch extension but I dunno if it was altered or any thing.He used on a 302 we rebuilt for my bro-in-laws GT.I am pretty sure you spin it clockwise but wait for another opinion on that because I am not positive.

-Nathan-
NathaN

I'd push a FORD before I'd ever drive a CHEVY!!!!
FORDification
Site & Forum Admin
Site & Forum Admin

Post by FORDification »

Any parts store should either have 'em in stock or have easy access to them for you. Here's a page with a few of them:

http://www.tavia.com/cat13.html

Always spin it the normal direction of the distributor rotation, which on a Ford V8 is counterclockwise. With the valvecovers off, you spin it until you see oil coming out up on top by the rockers.
____| \__
-O-----O- Keith
'67 F-100 2WD SWB ~ '69 F-100 4WD SWB w/7" chop ~ 1975 F-250 Ranger XLT Supercab Camper Special
ImageImageImage
My '67 restoration video
-> Posting and you! <-a MUST watch for all!!
wekelm

Post by wekelm »

You spin it in the same direction the dizzy spins. You can also use the shaft out of an old dizzy you might have lying around. :D
Bill K.

'71 F100 custom
'89 Probe LX
U.S. Army Retired
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You can also use a 1/4 drive socket on a 1/4 drive extension spun by a drill.

TAPE THE SOCKET TO THE EXTENSION so that you don't knock it off when removing it.

Also, unless you want to buy a new drill, spin it several seconds, let the drill cool, and spin it again. Smoke coming out of the drill is a bad thing.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
wekelm

Post by wekelm »

Autozone has tools you can use by puting a deposit down then you get it back when you bring the tool back. I just checked on line and they do have oil pump primers.
Bill K.

'71 F100 custom
'89 Probe LX
U.S. Army Retired
bigbassmann

Post by bigbassmann »

Thanks fellows for the replies. I might try the socket/extention thing since I already have plenty of tools on hand. I will be sure to tape the socket on, wouldn't want it to come off, that would be a bummer.
Ralph Davis
willowbilly3
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: re: priming oil pump on 351w

Post by willowbilly3 »

DuckRyder wrote:You can also use a 1/4 drive socket on a 1/4 drive extension spun by a drill.

TAPE THE SOCKET TO THE EXTENSION so that you don't knock it off when removing it.

Also, unless you want to buy a new drill, spin it several seconds, let the drill cool, and spin it again. Smoke coming out of the drill is a bad thing.
Robert, you beat me to it. That is exactly what I have always used. I use a thin, deep socket as some of the clunky short ones won't fit down the hole it seems.
Now this might be overkill, but I always hook up an oil pressure guage and a remote starter switch. After it builds oil pressure, I hit the starter for 15 seconds (with the spark plugs out) This might be un-necessary but it makes me feel like I have everything lubed good and all the lifters pumped up ect.
In reality, if you are using good assembly lube and everything is right, you won't damage your engine if you don't prime it, but you will find if there is anything amiss in the oiling system. It isn't unusual for galley plugs to get left out, or a cam bearing to be installed wrong blocking oil flow to the top end. Another thing I have had happen and it isn't uncommon on FE engines, is to have the oil pressure bypass valve stick a little and they will blow the rear cam plug out. I always stake those bad boys in now too. If you are priming it on the engine stand, you might have a helper turn the engine through with a breakerbar a few times as you prime it.
Great ideas have always encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds.
wekelm

Post by wekelm »

All this time I've been getting a primer from autozone and I had a 1/4 inch socket and extension in my tool box. :cry: Thanx guys learned something new. :bow:
Bill K.

'71 F100 custom
'89 Probe LX
U.S. Army Retired