360 to 390 conversion with EFI

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Dylan68

360 to 390 conversion with EFI

Post by Dylan68 »

Hey everyone! I have been rattling around the idea of how best to approach the build on my Sons truck and the engine to use. I originally was going to go with a 302 HO from a 89-93 because of the aftermarket parts and EFI harness that can be purchased for it. To this day I have not been able to find that engine/tranny for a decent price. Currently, he has a three-speed speed column shift with a 360 2 wheel drive. I wanted the 302 not so much for added fuel economy (though a lot of threads people have stated they do get slightly better MPG) but wanted to step away from a carb for cold starts and negating the requirement of having the carb rebuilt down the road as cabrs need from time to time. So plan B is to stay with the 360, rebuild it and bring it up to a 390 by replacing the crack, rods, piston, and then throwing an EFI kit on it like the FiTech or Holly Sniper. (though the FiTech is a little cheaper, may not be a good thing though)

I have rebuilt a couple engines back in the day with my dad and brothers but I was just a glorified attendee watching while they turned the wrenches. I am active duty Army (currently deployed) and plan on buying the parts and have them delivered by the time I rotate back so that we can get his build rolling. I plan on using the manual I purchased on Ford FE engines for the rebuild, youtube, and this great group of people here. Below are my questions.

1. Is there a 360 to 390 kit that is good quality (not afraid to pay more for quality parts) that I can get for the build and have all the parts and not piece together the upgrade. Is this kit any good on eBay?

https://www.ebay.com/i/262476019219?chn=ps&dispItem=1

2. During the build what should I take to a machine shop? I plan on tearing it down to a bare block and take it to a shop with the main caps fastened a crank, and the pistons and connecting rods I plan to use, plus the cylinder heads. What should I specifically ask for them to do before my Son and I start the process of rebuilding it? Just need the right verbiage so that I don't get taken for a fool. I appreciate any advice that can be given. I am not looking for an HP monster build here. I just want to put together a dependable engine that will last a while for the kid.

3. What rebuild kit do yall recommend? Or should I ask the machine shop what they can provide or should I go with a kit like this one?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ ... /make/ford

I appreciate your time helping my Son and I sort this out and look forward to the what you all have to say. Have a blessed day.

Michael
IN2FORD
Preferred User
Preferred User

Re: 360 to 390 conversion with EFI

Post by IN2FORD »

I went down the same road as you. I have alot of experience with the foxbody efi and planned on going that route. I had a Ford Racing EFI harness and ecu waiting to go on just needed an intake for my 351W and some other odds and ends. But Fitech came out with a $995 600hp deal...I decided that basically on lower cost and "self learning". Well it is not so "self learning". It is once you get a few things worked out. And now they dropped the price $200! But if I did it again, I would do the Sniper. Found out it is basically the same unit except it uses Holley's software. From what I understand it has a wider fuel learning capability. It learns at a much finer scale. But having said that my Fitech 351W runs great! I think I have some info in my build thread called Krusty Kab. Also on Facebook there are Holley Sniper and Fitech pages with tons of info. Keep in mind those pages are where you solve problems so that is all you will see. They are not all junk! Also there are pinned posts that have the part numbers for the O2 sensor as well as other sensors so you can go to your local parts store and pick up spares or need to replace for some reason.

Barry
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I bought a similar kit on eBay for my 352 build. Everything was a known brand, and all went together well. The ONLY hitch was when I was priming the oil system with a power drill, the Mailing oil pump caught on something. I ran it in reverse, then forward, and no problems since. This was an easy one-stop purchase, but if you want something else (Crane camshaft, etc), it might not be worth it, from a cost perspective.

My machinist bored and honed the cylinders, and polished the crank (No wear, so I could use stock-sized bearings). On the heads, he put in hardened seats, reground the valves, and checked the springs. The block was pretty clean, so he didn't dip it. He also installed new cam bearings, and replaced the bushings on the connecting rods. Basically, he did everything that I couldn't do on my own.

On the EFI, I'm a tried-and-true carb guy, but I've heard good things about FITech. Not saying that it's "the best," but I've never heard anything against them. If I were going EFI, I would consider FITech.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

You are still going to need a crank and rods with those kits. (maybe you knew that) I’ve said it a number of times if I had to do it over again I would do at least a 410.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper