302 help, rebuilt,

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

70xlt

302 help, rebuilt,

Post by 70xlt »

Hey Guys, need all suggestions, I've have 2 experienced ford guys doing the work. Doing ground up restore and I took it all apart, saying this hoping you might know of anything I could have put back together wrong under the dash. had machine shop .30 over, new cam, valves, new distributor, new intake with new eldebrock 1406 carb, all new vac lines, new plugs(x2) and wires, firing order is correct, set timing 10 BTDC, Sanderson headers. etc.

When trying to start the engine we are back to the raw basics. all vac plugged, went back to point system, sure it's tdc and 10 btdc. the engine when cranking sounds like it has vacuum leak, the engine plugs is full of gas. this is second brand of new carb, the first wasn't pre set and we thought bad carb, now the edelbrock is the same. on fresh morning it'll fire up for few seconds but have to throttle a lot to keep running. Old school guys are working on it and they are stumped. Do any of you have any kind of idea that would help?

I have no experience doing this and using guys with experience.
70xlt
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 302 help, rebuilt,

Post by cep62 »

70xlt wrote: the engine when cranking sounds like it has vacuum leak,
I've had the wrong gasket " under" the carb spacer before.
It didn't seal to the pcv port .
that was a bit of a head scratcher.
70xlt

Post by 70xlt »

thx, I used the gasket that came with both the carbs. looking at the installation marks on the gasket it looks as if sealed complete. I first it was the first carb, now the second carb is doing the same actions. Although I'm gonna get a new gasket for the carb and just see if it helps. We've more less been guessing by replacing from experience.
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

This may be completely off base, but I have a couple questions. Are you using a new fuel tank? What type of fuel filter are you using? Here is why I ask...sediment is the number one enemy of the AFB style carburetor (Carter and Edelbrock). Dirt in the fuel isn't good for any carb, but these particular carbs have the metering jets on the floor of the fuel bowls at the lowest point...where all the dirt collects. This causes all sorts of running troubles, some making no sense. I am a huge fan of the AFB and have run them for years, as well as tuned countless.

As far as timing, I would assume you are setting everything off of factory specs. You aren't at fault for this, but several factors come into play, including non-factory spec cam, higher or lower compression ratio, totally different fuel blends, etc. If you have a dial timing light, start with 32-34 degrees total advance at 3000 rpm, then adjust idle and fuel mixture screws for idle rpm and maximum idle vacuum. Just to double check, make sure the cam is indeed for the 302 (non HO) firing order.

Another tip...when 1st tuning the engine, strip it of any and all vacuum accessories like the brake booster, heater controls, vacuum reservoir and the like.
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

I have another question...are you anywhere near Anderson, Indiana? That's where I am and I'd be willing to lend a hand, if you're somewhat nearby.
70xlt

Post by 70xlt »

thxs Rotten,

I'm using the stock tank, but cleaned it out and was in good shape, blowed and cleaned fuel lines, using stock fuel filter plus a new clear inline fuel filter. We have timing set at 10 btdc, everything I think is new in firing plus new hoses which we've tried connected and disconnected. we've prob manually set TDC a dozen times to make sure correct, using light, inline plug showing #1 cyl is firing. My mechanic is experienced Ford guy and he's stumped. When I disassembled the truck is there anything I could have put back incorrectly under the dash?

Have moderate cam, asked builder for one where I could use stock torque converter and non power brakes

Wish we was closer, I'm mid state NC.
70XLT
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

If the inline fuel filter is a glass one with mesh element like a Russell or Spectre, THROW IT IN THE TRASH! They are absolute garbage and will let a gravel driveway through them. Every AFB I've tuned that had dirt in the bowls, either had no fuel filter or one of those junk filters. I'm all for seeing the fuel in the line, so I use a clear plastic filter with a crimped metallic outlet. These have paper elements and can handle the psi required for carburetion. See if maybe you can get a cam make and part number.

Side question...is your timing chain set a standard single position or does it have 3 different key way positions? I ask to make sure the cam wasn't inadvertently installed with advanced or retarded cam timing. Just covering what I can.
thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy »

I would guess you've probably already thought of this but have you made sure you are setting to TDC on the correct stroke (i.e. compression rather than exhaust)?
Aaron V.
1970 Ford F100 4x4 390/4-spd
1973 Ford Maverick 302/C4
1979 Chevrolet C30 Ramp Truck 454/TH-400
1948 Chevrolet 3800 216/4-spd
1995 Jeep Cherokee 4.0/5-spd
2004 Honda Shadow 1100

"While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it…thanks Mario Kart."
70xlt

Post by 70xlt »

yes on TDC, most of time he uses his finger for the gust of air. Plus uses tool of some sort too to verify it??? Cam company says it sounds like vac leak or valves too tight, but it's hydraulic lifters for mild cam. Going to remove valve cover to see if correct movement when spinning, afraid now cam might have gotten damaged on initial cranking.

thanks for suggestions, I'm not mechanic and my mechanic is scratching his head.
70xlt
CH3NO2

Post by CH3NO2 »

Sounds to me like you dropped an intake gasket & it's sucking air under the manifold. Remove the oil fill cap, stick a hose in there & put it up to your ear, then crank it. If it's leaking you'll hear it.
70xlt

Post by 70xlt »

engine builder seems to think it's a faulty intake. still can't get it running long enough to check for vacuum leaks. rock arms seem to have full travel and hoping no cam lobe damage. still running rich for less than minute. has anyone ever had a faulty aluminum intake? builder thinks since several header tubes was cherry red that the intake might be prob.
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

I can conceive a faulty anything. If it's mechanical, electrical or manufactured, it can have an issue of some sort. What type of exhaust are you running? Is it new and free flowing or exhaust that was already on the truck? Any chance of a clog in the exhaust? I really wish I was closer to you.
70xlt

Post by 70xlt »

$4.99 fixed it, brand new Napa distributor, old school guy told me to replace the condenser, fired right up.
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

Glad you have a happy ending.