Valley pan in a 390

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

turbotimmer

Valley pan in a 390

Post by turbotimmer »

How important is it? I swore when I took the motor apart, it was in there. Well, it’s gone, I forgot all about it, and I put the motor back together without it.
RottenAppleRed

Re: Valley pan in a 390

Post by RottenAppleRed »

I personally don't use them. Their main benefit is that it keeps oil from splashing against the exhaust crossover in the bottom of the intake. I use the FelPro Printoseal intake gaskets on every intake I install, as long as they are offered.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

RottenApple, I think he's talking about the tray on top of the intake, not the splash shield riveted/bolted to the bottom of the tray.

As to the original question, I don't know the answer (although now you got me wondering ...).

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I figured he was confused as well. There is no negative result from using both the lifter valley tray and especially the intake manifold heat shield. The exhaust crossover needs to be shielded from hot oil splashing on it so that it won't coke up. Again it can only help, not hurt.
1967 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
Another 67 F-100 4x4 custom cab.
2016 F-150 Eco-Boost 2.7 liter. (It will smoke the tires!)
1972 F-350 Sport Custom cab & chassis.
1972 F-250 Explorer Special, Camper Special.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Busboy,

Do you know if the aftermarket intakes (i.e., Edelbrock Performer, Performer RPM, etc) use a splash shield? I've never seen a photo of the bottom of one of those intakes (not as sexy as the top, I guess).

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

I had to look myself. My Edelbrock performer sitting on the shelf has the exhaust crossover passage but no provision for the splash shield.
1971 F-100 custom. 302, C-4, p.s. p.b. factory 65 amp alternator with transistorized voltage regulator.
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

I've been away for a bit, but it seems that a few of you think that I'm confused about what a valley pan is. The riveted steel pan under the intake crossover is not the valley pan. At the machine shop, we nicknamed those "ashtray" because they always seemed to trap oil, causing the exhaust crossover to cook it into ash.

The valley pan is the factory Ford intake manifold gasket. That gasket was used as a buffer between 2 newly machined surfaces. After time and elements get to those metal surfaces, they are no longer "newly machined." This is when a valley pan gasket is less likely to work as well as it did from the factory. That's where I suggest a high quality aftermarket gasket set. I have found no better replacement than the FelPro Printoseal.

If we are incorrectly referring to the ash tray as the valley pan, then clarification is needed. No, the riveted, stamped steel pan is not needed for proper operation of the engine.
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

It is designed to keep hot oil cam splash off of the intake. I welded my exhaust crossover closed and made my own splash shield to keep the intake temps down.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

RottenAppleRed wrote:The valley pan is the factory Ford intake manifold gasket.
:? Sorry, can't picture it being a gasket. Can you explain what you mean?

Joseph
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Busboy wrote:I had to look myself. My Edelbrock performer sitting on the shelf has the exhaust crossover passage but no provision for the splash shield.
What the @#$%^&* is it doing sitting on a shelf?!? If you don't want it, I'll PM you my address!

Joseph
Busboy
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Busboy »

Well I've got 3 projects going; A 67 F-100 4x4, a 69 SWB Ranger, and a 66 F-100 custom cab all with FE engines and I can't decide which one to use it on. :?
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

colnago wrote:
RottenAppleRed wrote:The valley pan is the factory Ford intake manifold gasket.
:? Sorry, can't picture it being a gasket. Can you explain what you mean?

Joseph
My mistake. The valley pan in the FE is not an integrated gasket like the Cleveland, 400/351M, 429 and 460...along with other makes and CIDs. The valley pan on the FE does still serve the same purpose as the "valley pan/intake gasket" on the aforementioned engines...which is to block oil from contacting the bottom of the intake, causing warmer air/fuel charges. The ash tray is still the stamped steel, riveted pan that shields the area around the exhaust crossover.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Got it. This brings up another question (from me). Do you want/need both the valley pan, and the riveted ashtray, or is this basically duplicating the need?

Joseph
RottenAppleRed

Post by RottenAppleRed »

It kind of depends on the situation. Some intake gaskets come with a metal shin/block off plate at the exhaust crossover port. This keeps hot air from entering the belly of the intake...negating a need for the ash tray. Some intakes are made with no provision for the exhaust crossover...same result. The valley pan does help keep the oil from getting away from moving parts for an extended amount of time and allows it to reach the drain back areas quicker to return to the pan. It is not needed, but also not a bad idea to have it in place. The ash tray also acts as a heat shield, much like the one on or around a muffler and catalytic converter. It doesn't have to be there, but the floorboard in that area gets much hotter than if it were. If your crossover is in use, I would use both. If you aren't using the valley pan, I'd remove the ash tray, as it will allow for more oil to get in and cook to ash. I have disassembled small block chevys with the entire lifter valley full of ash up to the intake bottom...still running.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

The valley pan does not block hot oil from hitting the bottom of the intake ...

It also does not stop hot air from contacting the bottom of the intake ....way to many holes in it to stop heat

The temperature is the same on top of the valley tray as it is below the tray

The crankcase and lifter valley are the same temp

It is used to help control the oil from being pushed or sucked out the breather vents

It is called a heat shield not an ash tray

I do not run one in my sideoiler as the roller lifters do not allow its use

If you have one it is a good idea to use it but they run just fine without one