Which Intake to Use?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Which Intake to Use?

Post by colnago »

Long story short, I rebuilt my 352 this last summer, but used a 4BBL "T" intake manifold instead of my pre-build "S" intake manifold. The "T" has a '75 date (D5TE), while the "S" is from '68 (C8AE). Now, I'm wondering if I made the right choice. Does anyone have any stats for these two intakes? Flow numbers, port sizes, anything? I'm using C8AE heads, so one would "assume" that the "S" intake would be the one to use, but I've always heard, "T is for truck, and S is for suck." Are they pretty much the same? I'd hate to swap for nothing, but I'd also hate to not swap if the older manifold is better. After all, '68 was pre-emission ...

Thoughts?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Which Intake to Use?

Post by tnlprt »

Performer RPM and be done with it
idaho_cowboy

Post by idaho_cowboy »

Between those two? You'd never notice any difference. At the RPM range you're running the'll both be virtually identical. Furthermore, in your truck, you'd see little benefit with anything new and fancy.. You're just not making enough power, or pumping enough air, for it to matter.

I'd say stick with what you have, and focus really getting detailed with the tuning. That's where you'll find advantage.

- Joseph
Owner @ bumpsidetreasures
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

tnlprt wrote:Performer RPM and be done with it
I don't think I'd see any benefit from it. I suppose if I found one for cheap, I'd try it, but I don't "light up the tires." After all, this is a truck. It's my daily driver and dump-runner. It rarely revs up above 3,000RPM. I'll probably stay with the "T" manifold, but I had to ask.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Well, I think I convinced myself to re-use the "S" intake. I can take my time cleaning it up, then spend some extra time to clean up the internals (smoothe out the channels, match the ports, etc). Best of both worlds, maybe. Good thing I have a hoist, because we all know that these iron intakes are @#$%&* heavy! And as far as I can tell, the weight is the only benefit that the Performer intake provides (I understand the Performer RPM has major benefits, but I'm a low-RPM kind of driver).

Besides, this satisfies the "tweaker" in me (for now).

Joseph
59yblockf100

Post by 59yblockf100 »

ya i remember pulling and installing many of those by hand,when i was younger ,and taking out transmissions 4spd and autos by hand with no blocks,remember watching clint eastwood carrying a engine block in a old movie,i did it with a fe 390 and i wonder why i dont walk straight :lol:
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

59yblockf100 wrote:...,i did it with a fe 390 and i wonder why i dont walk straight :lol:
Yeah, but you got braggin' rights! :lol:

Joseph
59yblockf100

Post by 59yblockf100 »

:nono: it wasnt worth the bragging rights :lol: