Dizzy Identify

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

ValdezF100

Dizzy Identify

Post by ValdezF100 »

Hello, was wondering if anyone can identify this electronic ignition setup. It's in a stock dist on a 1968 F100 360. There is also a module/box on the fender well that the wires run to. Seems to run alright but would like to confirm what I have before messing with anything. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Dizzy Identify

Post by tnlprt »

All Factory FE distributors have a number on them that will tell you the application

It is cast into the body of the distributor right below where the cap attaches on the side
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Duraspark, which actually came out in the 70s. Looks like you might have a second vacuum port on the vacuum can. I'm not sure when they started using those, but your setup is definitely not stock on your '68. I'm actually using a Duraspark setup on my '67. It's a fairly popular setup on our trucks.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
ValdezF100

Post by ValdezF100 »

Yes, the code on the side of the housing is a C8TZ-12127-G which is correct for the engine period.... My question was in relation to the ignition inside because I couldn't find anything like it on the net for reference. I will look into the Duraspark again, thanks for the info. The main reason I want to find out what it is is because the 8 leg bronze piece on top has some severe burns on a couple of legs and a couple that look either cracked or broken and someone brazed them back together... fun.

Thanks again for the info.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Doesn't look exactly like the Duraspark I'm used to seeing. The reluctor and pickup are shaped differently. Everything looks the same though. Maybe just a different generation? I've always used the '77-'78 year models in my conversions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

I think that he may have an early aftermarket version of electronic ignition

Take notice his only has 2 wires coming out of the distributor
ValdezF100

Post by ValdezF100 »

Ya, looked at all the Duraspark stuff but nothing like this. But, I've also looked all over the net for anything resembling this and haven't seen anything as of yet. Thanks again for any ideas.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Old parts catalogs will tell you far more than the web on the not so old stuff

Those 60 year old parts guys know their stuff..If you can find them
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

sargentrs wrote:The reluctor and pickup are shaped differently. Everything looks the same though. Maybe just a different generation?
To me, it almost looks like the reluctor was installed upside-down. Not sure you can do that on a Duraspark, though. It also looks like the PO went a bit crazy with a paint bomb, and decided that the distributor needed to be blue, too.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.