351w camshaft recommendations

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

ButtaBean

351w camshaft recommendations

Post by ButtaBean »

After much hemhawing and mind changing, I have finally decided on a course of action for the ol '67. She's getting the 351w bored over 30 and stroked out to 408 cube and twin turbos. I have THAT engine all mapped out as far as the build.
Here is the NEW dilemma: In the process of scrounging parts and pieces, I've managed tp collect three more bumps, enough parts to build two more trucks. Two 70's and a 71. One of the 70's is a four door cab thats going on a 97 frame with 20k miles.
What boils down to is that I now have another good running 351windsor with low miles on a stock bottom rebuild with worked over DO0E heads. Performer intake and still deciding the carb. I need a camshaft that will work with those heads for some thump but not pull the rocker studs out. Hoping a few of you here have some specific recommendations you have used to save me some time. Not going to spend much on this engine, it'll be for the Mrs. to drive to keep her out of my 67.
RottenAppleRed

Re: 351w camshaft recommendations

Post by RottenAppleRed »

If you are running a flat tappet hydraulic camshaft, I don't think there is a better off the shelf cam manufacturer for Ford than Lunati. I've had zero issues with their product and they can make a Ford talk. I recommend keeping it under .500" valve lift for the springs. 100-110# of seat pressure is good enough for the springs. Some may recommend 125#, but then the open pressure gets to be a bit much and press-in studs may walk. Assuming stock valves of 1.84" intake and 1.54" exhaust, a straight pattern cam would do great. The exhaust valve takes up a pretty good percentage of the intake diameter, so it shouldn't need more time open or a higher lift to scavenge exhaust gasses from the cylinders. Here is my suggestion for cam only, though it is offered with the lifters as well. http://lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=3069&gid=339
ButtaBean

Post by ButtaBean »

Thank you, thats exactly the specs I was looking for!
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

I'm collecting parts for a 351W build, and just bought a Lunati Voodoo cam (#61001 if memory serves). If you do a little research, there are a lot of people recommending them over other brands. I guess we'll see.

I'm building primarily for torque, and the power band on this cam starts at 1000 rpm. I'm going with GT40P heads and a dual plane for the rest of the build.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.