'70 F100 Oil Pan Removal tips???

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

jgf100

'70 F100 Oil Pan Removal tips???

Post by jgf100 »

Hi there, I have a motor oil leak and I figured I drop the oil pan on my 70 F100 5.0 302 cc engine. Well, I removed all the oil pan bolts but then realized that there was no way it was coming out.
Any ideas how I can remove oil pan without pulling engine. This is my first time working on a "budget build" and I really cant afford a hoist and stand.

Thanks.
'70 F100, 302 C4
Twisted_Steel

Re: '70 F100 Oil Pan Removal tips???

Post by Twisted_Steel »

Where was the leak originating from? Front or back?
You can take the engine mounts loose and jack up the engine somewhat, but not sure about enough clearance to remove the pan without taking the pickup tube out in order to slide the pan out. Make sure to remove the dipstick before taking the pan out... one less thing to get caught on.
Is it an automatic or manual? If manual, is it a 3 on the tree? Those make it trickier than either an automatic or top loader 4 speed
You can lose fingers or a hand if the engine was to fall... so if you can get help, that'd be better. **Understand, this is not the safest way, but doable**

The surest and safest way to go, rent/borrow a hoist.
Twisted_Steel

Post by Twisted_Steel »

Where are you located? We've got members coast to coast
jgf100

Post by jgf100 »

Thanks for the info Twisted_Steel. Transmission is a C4 automatic. As far as the leak, I couldn't identify the area where it was coming from. I assumed it was the rear main, but after unbolting the bolts on pan, the gasket was in terrible shape. I will attempt to lift the engine enough to get the pan off, if not I will have to go the route of getting a hoist somehow.
I more question. Do I need to unbolt transmission to get the engine lifted with a jack?
I live in the Greenville, SC area.
Thanks again.
'70 F100, 302 C4
Montana71-F100
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by Montana71-F100 »

If you're just replacing the oil pan gasket you may be able to lower the pan enough to do the job without removing the pan completely or lifting the engine. I've done it that way before. It's a pain to clean both surfaces and to work the new gasket in place. I'm not familiar with your set up so it might not work for you but it's a thought.
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I have changed a couple on other cars using a homemade wooden v block and a floor jack using the harmonic balancer - jack it up with a sturdy metal bar long enough to clear the sides of the jack between the jack and v block and when you have it high enough put jack stands under the ends of the metal bar as a safety measure if the jack creeps or fails......an alternative if you don't have access to a hoist.........
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
BobbyFord
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by BobbyFord »

If you have the pan off you’d be crazy not to replace the rear main seal and possibly the oil pump.
jgf100

Post by jgf100 »

I was thinking about doing that, but there just isn't that much room, and I would like to change the rear main seal as well. Thanks for the info.
Montana71-F100 wrote:If you're just replacing the oil pan gasket you may be able to lower the pan enough to do the job without removing the pan completely or lifting the engine. I've done it that way before. It's a pain to clean both surfaces and to work the new gasket in place. I'm not familiar with your set up so it might not work for you but it's a thought.
'70 F100, 302 C4
jgf100

Post by jgf100 »

Yes, I am planning on changing the rear main seal as well, and maybe even the oil pump. Thanks for the info
BobbyFord wrote:If you have the pan off you’d be crazy not to replace the rear main seal and possibly the oil pump.
'70 F100, 302 C4
jgf100

Post by jgf100 »

hmm, I dont quite understand what you mean. Where do you put the v block?
Ohiotinkerer wrote:I have changed a couple on other cars using a homemade wooden v block and a floor jack using the harmonic balancer - jack it up with a sturdy metal bar long enough to clear the sides of the jack between the jack and v block and when you have it high enough put jack stands under the ends of the metal bar as a safety measure if the jack creeps or fails......an alternative if you don't have access to a hoist.........
'70 F100, 302 C4
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

jgf100 wrote:hmm, I dont quite understand what you mean. Where do you put the v block?
Ohiotinkerer wrote:I have changed a couple on other cars using a homemade wooden v block and a floor jack using the harmonic balancer - jack it up with a sturdy metal bar long enough to clear the sides of the jack between the jack and v block and when you have it high enough put jack stands under the ends of the metal bar as a safety measure if the jack creeps or fails......an alternative if you don't have access to a hoist.........

Sorry.....I've been really brain dead lately - too many hours at work.... :cry: put it under the harmonic balancer - helps to keep it from moving side to side she you jack it up - hardwood is better than pine but have used both.......
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR