Do Better Valve Covers Equal No Leaks?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Cal2121

Do Better Valve Covers Equal No Leaks?

Post by Cal2121 »

When I put a rebuilt 390 into my truck, I bought cheaper ($65 ish) Edelbrock valve covers and put them on. I’m getting a very small amount of oil leaking at the outside rear corner on each valve cover. I bought new valve cover gaskets and installed. Still getting a small amount of oil in those locations. My question is whether buying better valve covers will make a difference in stopping the leak?

Thank you
MadMike

Re: Do Better Valve Covers Equal No Leaks?

Post by MadMike »

If these are stamped steel valve covers, you always, always, always put the covers on the engine without any gaskets and check that they do not rock or have high spots. Tweak them til they sit flush on the heads, then install quality valve cover gaskets(not the crap paper thin rubber type) and you should have no leaks. Do not over-tighten the nuts/bolts, and always use a hardened washer at minimum to prevent from crushing/distorting the rail.

On an FE engine you also want to verify that the intake and head interface is the same height. A step there(from milled heads/intake) will not be easy to seal without excessive goop or gasket modification.
-Michael
Cal2121

Post by Cal2121 »

Thanks, Mike. I do not believe your first step was done with the initial installation and I did not do that when I put new valve cover gaskets on. The other steps were followed. They are stamped, so they may be a bit distorted.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Cast aluminum valve covers
Studs not bolts
Cork gaskets

No leaks

Rock auto has gaskets cheap valve cover gaskets ...less than 6 bucks a set

FE engines leak oil It is a fact of life
FE Heaven15.jpg
[attachment=0]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Like tnlprt, I used cast aluminum covers, but with bolts.I followed the yellow "Big Block Ford" book, and it suggested gaskets and sealer. So far, so good! I have other headaches, but the valve covers aren't leaking (that's what I call "small blessings").

Question to tnlprt: Why studs and not bolts?

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

If I ever go back to older engines I'll machine an O ring groove in a set of aluminum covers to get rid of the leaks. That's what we do in industry along with non hardening sealant.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

colnago wrote:Like tnlprt, I used cast aluminum covers, but with bolts.I followed the yellow "Big Block Ford" book, and it suggested gaskets and sealer. So far, so good! I have other headaches, but the valve covers aren't leaking (that's what I call "small blessings").

Question to tnlprt: Why studs and not bolts?

Joseph

Studs stay in the Aluminum

I do not like to screw bolts into Aluminum

I run a solid roller cam in my FE and check the lash

Threads in Aluminum wear out
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

Looks like you went with aluminum heads (drool, drool). I kept the steel Ford heads, so bolts were fine. I can understand wanting to use studs in your case. Thanks for the education! :thup:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.