Intake valley seal

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

briansbronco

Intake valley seal

Post by briansbronco »

So I'm not real happy about it but apparently in my haste to get my new intake and carb on my truck I didn't let the gasket sealer setup enough before cranking my engine. Apparently it blew out a little on the front and a small section on the back. I know in the past I usually let it sit for 24 hours but I think the cold effected cure time. So how many of you guys have made a repair in this area without removing the intake? I'm thinking of cleaning it really well with alcohol and applying more gasket maker through a nozzle into the suspect area, letting it cure properly. It's not that bad but I did notice it so it needs to be addressed before it decides to become a oil leak. At this point I don't have any oil coming out, just a little smoke.
1970 F250 4x4 SC Flatbed.
1968 F350 DRW Service body.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do evil on their behalf"---Orwell
Joshgt87

Re: Intake valley seal

Post by Joshgt87 »

I've never had any luck doing this. You just can't seem to get it clean enough. If it won't take very long it's worth a try though, worst come to worst you have to pull the intake. Your not gonna hurt it.
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Brake cleaner to degrease and use a vacuum cleaner sucking at the valve cover to draw the sealant into the gap. It's also best to warm the engine before doing the work.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
briansbronco

Post by briansbronco »

Ranchero50 wrote:Brake cleaner to degrease and use a vacuum cleaner sucking at the valve cover to draw the sealant into the gap. It's also best to warm the engine before doing the work.
That's a good idea. Wouldn't have thought of that one. As far as I can tell it's just two small areas, one front and one back. If it ends up being much trouble I will just pull the intake. I just hate that as it was just off.... :cuss:
1970 F250 4x4 SC Flatbed.
1968 F350 DRW Service body.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do evil on their behalf"---Orwell
RyansFord

Post by RyansFord »

It's not the oil leaks that would bother me as much as the vacuum leaks. Airtight and oil tight are 2 different things. Of course you can drown it in sealant... I would just pull it off and do it again, patiently. Make sure the mating surfaces are super clean too. Proper curing doesn't accomplish much if it's cured to a patch of dirt or grease.