Throttle linkage solutions, holly carb!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

briansbronco

Throttle linkage solutions, holly carb!

Post by briansbronco »

Let's see some solutions you guys have come up with for throttle linkage after installing a Holley four barrel. I'm just now getting around to building a throttle linkage after the new performer intake and Holley truck avenger install. After removing the trapeze mechanism, installing a straight temporary linkage from the gas pedal arm and the carb linkage my throttle pedal is hanging in the air. With that it still doesn't have enough swing to fully open the four barrel. Let's see what some of you guys have come up with here.
1970 F250 4x4 SC Flatbed.
1968 F350 DRW Service body.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do evil on their behalf"---Orwell
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Throttle linkage solutions, holly carb!

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

Put one of these on mine........

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk- ... /overview/

Or build your own if you have a good local hardware store..... :thup:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
briansbronco

Post by briansbronco »

Building a straight linkage I can do here. How did you correct the pedal height? Mine is about 4 inches off the floor.
1970 F250 4x4 SC Flatbed.
1968 F350 DRW Service body.
1969 F250 4x4 SC DRW
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do evil on their behalf"---Orwell
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Something I've had bookmarked for future reference.... http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2004 ... /index.php Use a longer rod to bring the pedal back down. Also feel free to bend the accelerator pedal linkage to compensate. A slight bend at the top will add up quickly at the pedal. Or bend it down at the pedal to lower some. http://www.fordification.com/tech/image ... e_8cyl.jpg
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
RangerRat

Post by RangerRat »

I know this an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Anyone come up with a good solution. If I lengthen the rod from the carb to the pedal arm that will bring the the pedal down at idle. But looks like when mashed to the floor it wouldn't be opening the throttle all the way. Wishing it still had the factory bell crank setup
Ron_Hall

Post by Ron_Hall »

briansbronco wrote:Let's see some solutions you guys have come up with for throttle linkage after installing a Holley four barrel. I'm just now getting around to building a throttle linkage after the new performer intake and Holley truck avenger install. After removing the trapeze mechanism, installing a straight temporary linkage from the gas pedal arm and the carb linkage my throttle pedal is hanging in the air. With that it still doesn't have enough swing to fully open the four barrel. Let's see what some of you guys have come up with here.
I made mine from the link that Sarg left on here and I have no problems with it.
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 F100 SWB 390 FE - bored.030 over
Edelbrock Performer - Holley 600 CFI
Stock heads with some porting - Sanderson FF427 Headers
C6 with stock converter - 3.25 rear end gears
One owner...
RangerRat

Post by RangerRat »

I've done that. And maybe my approach is wrong. I put the gas pedal to the floor. Moved the throttle lever on the carburetor all the way back to full. And adjusted the rod for that length. That way I know it will open the carburetor up fully. And that works fine except my gas pedal at idle and cruising is way to high off the floor to. No less that an inch higher than stock. Very awkard to say the least

I really like the bracket for your return spring. Very clean. I'm gonna copy that
Ron_Hall

Post by Ron_Hall »

RangerRat wrote:I've done that. And maybe my approach is wrong. I put the gas pedal to the floor. Moved the throttle lever on the carburetor all the way back to full. And adjusted the rod for that length. That way I know it will open the carburetor up fully. And that works fine except my gas pedal at idle and cruising is way to high off the floor to. No less that an inch higher than stock. Very awkward to say the least
I had the same problem with my linkage till I moved to a lower hole on the carb linkage. Now the pedal is not too high and I have full travel.
I really like the bracket for your return spring. Very clean. I'm gonna copy that
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One owner...
Ron_Hall

Post by Ron_Hall »

Ron_Hall wrote:
RangerRat wrote:I've done that. And maybe my approach is wrong. I put the gas pedal to the floor. Moved the throttle lever on the carburetor all the way back to full. And adjusted the rod for that length. That way I know it will open the carburetor up fully. And that works fine except my gas pedal at idle and cruising is way to high off the floor to. No less that an inch higher than stock. Very awkward to say the least
I had the same problem with my linkage till I moved to a lower hole on the carb linkage. Now the pedal is not too high and I have full travel.
Thanks RangerRat, That was before I finished it.
Ron
One owner...
rabbithunter2005

Post by rabbithunter2005 »

Everytime I see a dentside in the junkyard I grab the throttle rod. I know Im a weirdo but I worry someday I aint gonna be able to find small odds and ends like that. There are a bunch of different lengths that they used. Ive got lucky on 2 of the rods cause they were long and they had a small bend in the middle almost like they were for clearance for something they had to go around and I ended up using a hammer to flatten out the bend and it worked perfectly. That's with my 351w with an rpm air gap with a 1 inch carb spacer so I had to have a long rod to reach the carb.
1969 ford f100 351w aod
1967 f250 4x4 351c m50d