390 oil pan question

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Joshgt87

390 oil pan question

Post by Joshgt87 »

I'm rebuilding the 390 for my 76 f250 and the guy I got the engine from gave me quite a bit of extra stuff. One thing he gave me was "what he called" a 9 quart oil pan. I've looked quite a bit and the best I can tell is that it's off I'm assuming an f600 or similar. He gave me the oil pick up and the dipstick is in the pan itself. My question or questions are, does anyone have a part number for the oil pickup? I'd really rather not use the used one he gave me. And also, this being a tow rig, I'm assuming this would be beneficial. If your had your choice of the stock pan and this one which would you run? Thanks guys!
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: 390 oil pan question

Post by Manny »

My choice and my pic would be the stock pan. The solid sump FTE pan would help keep oil cooler but not cetain it would be worth it, and not certain it clears the steering. I remember there was pictures here for the front rear and straight sumps. If it were my truck i would run the front sump pan, and then i would install a oil cooler. This would give the same thing as the extra oil to aid in cooling except would be much more. 9 qts would stay cooler but would eventually get hot a cooler would keep the oil in check with whatever you got behind it. So trans cooler oil cooler, and biggest radiator will be the best way to make it happen. :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Double post
Last edited by Joshgt87 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

Manny wrote:My choice and my pic would be the stock pan. The solid sump FTE pan would help keep oil cooler but not cetain it would be worth it, and not certain it clears the steering. I remember there was pictures here for the front rear and straight sumps. If it were my truck i would run the front sump pan, and then i would install a oil cooler. This would give the same thing as the extra oil to aid in cooling except would be much more. 9 qts would stay cooler but would eventually get hot a cooler would keep the oil in check with whatever you got behind it. So trans cooler oil cooler, and biggest radiator will be the best way to make it happen. :thup:

Thanks man!! I'll grab a cooler then!
cstoyer

Post by cstoyer »

Is you F250 4x4 or 2x4 as they had deifferent pans for each? Rear sump for the 4x4 front sump for the 2x4. I have a canton 7qt rear sump for my 4x4.

cstoyer
68 F250 4x4
Joshgt87

Post by Joshgt87 »

It's a 2wd. I have the front sump pan.