O'reillys vs Advanced Auto Parts Ford 390

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

Jzbochat

O'reillys vs Advanced Auto Parts Ford 390

Post by Jzbochat »

I was looking to find a rebuild 390 to put in my truck because my current one is getting tired. The 390 is becoming harder to find, but I found that O'reillys sells a 390 long block and so Does Advanced. My question is, which is better? I head that O'reilly's 390 is a bone stock rebuild, whereas Advanced is said to use some performance parts in their rebuilds. Anyone have any experience with one of these motors?
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: O'reillys vs Advanced Auto Parts Ford 390

Post by Manny »

There probably will be little difference from the two engines. Both from a volume re builder such as precision, jasper, etc etc. If they have a warranty and a decent price they will fair you well. However you could also buy a core and rebuild your own engine with a better quality product you can be proud of. Whats the pricing of the motors and are you opposed to building your own? My :2cents:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Volume rebuilders will also do the bare amount of work to bring a block up to spec and do extra work to repair a damaged block. I've seen sleeves and other stuff in basic 302's in the past. Oddball quality and deburring and my Autozone sourced 5.0 crank was bent when I pulled it out of the box.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
Jzbochat

Post by Jzbochat »

I would love to rebuild the engine from the block up, but due to a lack of time, I am forced to drop a long block in the old one's place.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Jzbochat wrote:I would love to rebuild the engine from the block up, but due to a lack of time, I am forced to drop a long block in the old one's place.
If you can save your core and its a good one try to. Remember that the long block your buying will be built by a company where speed and low cost is key. I had a friend run a 390 long block in his 69' forever. Just remember they are not terrible but not a "High Quality Engine" Just a good engine. :2cents: Whichever engine you wind up with break in your cam right use good high zinc oil and i hope it fairs your great!! :thup:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).