1972 SB Project

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

trigg

1972 SB Project

Post by trigg »

So long story short I bought this 72 short bed about a year ago and the hour trip home kinda did her in (died at red lights, had a high pitch squeal on start ups, and flat out died right when I pulled into the driveway).

Anyways, Over the past year I've been going over everything and deciding on how to resto-mod this beast. And with that Ive come to a cross roads with the motor. It has the 360 in it currently, I had a 390 in a 75 years back and I enjoyed it. So the plan is to build a 390 I've already sourced a running engine for $200. The motor build isn't what I'm having problems with currently. I'm looking to go EFI and go CNP (coil near plug or coil on plug). Now I've searched the forum and google to no avail. I'm primarily looking at the Fast and Holley kits. Now I know that both companies have what they call "Smart Coils". My question is in regards to the ecu that both companies provide with there multiple kits. I'm not sure if I keep over looking the information on the website or what the deal is. But Im trying to get a EFI kit that has a ECU that will control the Smart Coils. I know the Dominator kit will but to be honest its a-bit much (function wise) for my needs. Has anyone done this or possible point me into the right direction.

An yes I know that its not necessary and that the mpg or hp wont really go up. I'm intrigued with these setups and feel like messing with it 8) .

Side question does anyone know where to order the back panel on the bed (panel closest to the bed)? For love of everything holly I cant find a single replacement anywhere.