Rusty fuel tank!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Rusty fuel tank!

Post by cdnwillyg »

So I went to install my fuel tank and wow what a shock on the state of the inside. :eek:
Is there any way to clean these that actually works and that stays free of rust? I have done the bolts and cider vinegar trick with limited success on other projects but this may be the worst I have seen for build up. :cry: :cry:
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Rusty fuel tank!

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

I've used Works toilet bowl cleaner on tanks with very good results - it dissolves rust better than anything I have used - if its heavy rust it might take a couple of times using it or - and I know this will be a pain in the a@@ - get a bunch of nuts and put them in there and have someone help you shake it and that will help knock off a lot of heavy stuff then use the cleaner. I used to use pea gravel but always had problems getting it all out until someone smarter than me said if I use nuts I can fish them out with a magnet........ :doh:

As far as keeping the rust out I if it isn't being driven regularly I just keep the tank topped off - that keeps any chance of condensation in the tank away - some people coat their tanks but not personally a fan after it started peeling off in the tank on my Honda crotch rocket.......... :x
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
M-100

Post by M-100 »

I had a radiator shop in my town clean mine out and coat the inside with something they had. Its been close to 20 years ago and it is still ok . I don't have any problems with my fuel system . My filter is one off those kind that comes apart for cleaning but it's never dirty that i can tell. I was kind of afraid it would flake but so far so good.
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Ohiotinkerer wrote:I've used Works toilet bowl cleaner on tanks with very good results - it dissolves rust better than anything I have used -
I’d like to second that.
“Works” is what I use a lot when I need to get rid of rust. It’s cheap, so you can get 2 or 3 bottles of it, dump it in and slosh it around for a few days with your bolts or whatever??
Work clean, seal the tank with some duct tape, don’t get that stuff on you and don’t breath the fumes.
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Just checked the web and I don't think "Works" is available in Canada what a pity! :pout:
I did find a rad shop that would acid clean the gas tank and if it fails they wouldn't charge me. :clap: If it pass they would need to line it with a sealer to prevent the rust coming back...that would be $250. :( No new tanks in Alberta available so a new tank from USA is about $525 CDN. :eek: I still need to check my under the box tank to see if I could use that instead but not sure of its condition yet. :hmm:
jzjames
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by jzjames »

Ask your Rad man if he will acid etch your tank and you’ll do your own sealant treatment!
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

cdnwillyg wrote:Just checked the web and I don't think "Works" is available in Canada what a pity!
I think you're right unfortunately...... :(

I wonder if its because down here one of its other uses besides cleaning is making "Works bombs"......... :evil:

If you decide to seal the tank yourself research the products that are out there to see what people are recommending - I did my Honda tank and a year later it started coming off which was really fun to get out once it did............ :cuss:
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Well my tank is real rusty but a Ford buddy up here as a tank that looks amazing and is going to clean it for me and then rinse it with diesel fuel before he sells it to me for $50.
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
This what my tank looks like!
20171204_194430.jpg
He has been areal good guy thru my build with lots of parts available. He is after some of mine when I put the new ones on my truck so this has worked out well for both of us.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

I sent my Edsel gas tank to "Leakers" in Langley BC, if you are in Canada I would suggest them. They split it open, pounded out the dents, re-welded it, re-plated it, sprayed the outside with rust preventer then coated the inside with something that has worked well. That was 20 years ago, $110 plus shipping I think the whole project was about $160 return with freight. Our local rad shop, 50 miles away, just did a gas tank for a IH 300 Utility tractor for me, not much rust but was leaking around the base where the sediment bowl is. $140 but I was expecting to pay more. :)
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

Scared of what my tank looks like but that used one your getting looks fantastic!! :D
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Got my tank and it sure is clean inside, still had old gas in it but that's all. :thup: I will not even need to get it cleaned but what is the solution to get rid of the stinky old gas smell? Sure don't want that smell in my cab all new as it is!!!
As it arrived
20171209_131459.jpg
and as it's going in.
20171209_132538.jpg
Went to buy new gas filler hose at NAPA and for 4" piece they wanted $75 as they only sold it in the 3' pieces. :eek:
Went to local hot rod shop where they sold it by the inch :clap: for $1.38 alot better result!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:help: So need your solution to rid the tank of smell please. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SharkyJ

Post by SharkyJ »

I just recently had the same problem with my tank being full of rust. I cleaned the tank using a 12 volt electrolysis process, and I could not believe what came out of the tank. I rinsed it afterwards and out redkote on the inside to seal it. It has worked great so far.
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Thanks Sharky3, I have heard that redkote is the stuff to use from the rad cleaning guy! I dumped all the old gas and by the time I painted the tank and installed it the gas smell seems to have vented, so I am going to try this and see.