Oil Analysis

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

RandyP63

Oil Analysis

Post by RandyP63 »

I was hoping someone might have some information on high aluminum deposits in an oil sample. It is a 1970 302, unknown mileage, new cam and lifters with 2000 miles on them (break in for 20 minutes at 2000-2400 RPM), Rotella 15W40 oil, Joe Gibbs oil for the break in. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs and they showed high levels of aluminum (225 ppm) in the sample, they indicated that it could be rings or piston wear. Every other reading was normal.

Since the break in, the oil was changed at: 500 miles, then an additional 1500 miles. The 500 mile sample was the one with the high reading.

I checked the compression and so far 130 is the average with the lowest at 125. The truck runs great, no smoke or abnormal deposits on the plugs, but when it gets 500 miles on an oil change you can see the oil turn a little bit silver in color. My next move is to borrow a friends bore scope to see what is going on. It's just strange since the truck runs so good. Any ideas ?
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Re: Oil Analysis

Post by Manny »

Aluminum is from piston normally. Skirt scuffing and such. Could be pistons not sized to the bore properly honing not exact or one piston is "different" from another. bearings have some aluminum but the oil psi goes away and it comes apart to quick. My best guess is your are suffering piston wear but your compression and all is good. If your have good oil pressure and such boroscope it and then run to the next service interval and resample. I would also say cut the filter open and make sure there is no big chunks. One final note is remove and check the fuel pump and timing chain as they are both aluminum. could be from there possibly. :2cents:
Just another Ford fool named Dan.
The Junk that hangs around
67' F-250 highboy Camper special cross breed currently under way
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=86706
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
1994 F350 7.3 5spd dually.
woods wrote: The rust holes in my truck were a factory install (very rare).
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

I would not find that particularly un usual during break in.

I would re sample after several thousand and look for a downward trend...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

:yt:
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
RandyP63

Post by RandyP63 »

Thanks for the replies, I picked up a bore scope and will check it out this weekend. I don't expect to find anything, but you never know.
Manny
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by Manny »

RandyP63 wrote:Thanks for the replies, I picked up a bore scope and will check it out this weekend. I don't expect to find anything, but you never know.

Hope you don't find nothing taking a look never hurt thought, and also taking precautions ahead of trouble always helps. I have a 302 i never want to see an oil sample on. The 302 in the 74' bronco is a train wreck had no oil pressure and found it had .010 under bearing on a .020 crank. Got the bearings right and got the oil pressure good but it still makes dusty metal in the oil, and it rattles and slaps pistons till it warms up. But ain't afraid to take it anywhere.
1974 Bronco 302 3 speed
1984 bronco 302 c6 35's
RyansFord

Post by RyansFord »

Possibly the distributor gear... Bronze/aluminum alloy? The rotating assembly is old and already broke in correct? It's just a new cam and lifters... All steel right? Hydraulic? It's all just a shot in the dark. I would think that's fairly common during the first few thousand miles with less and less metal with each oil change. You really sent your oil to a lab? That's some CSI stuff right der
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Heres another example.

There is probably something wrong here, but I’m not going to tear into it just yet.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
RyansFord

Post by RyansFord »

I'm gonna venture to say it's your cam bearings. They can get excessive wear for lots of reasons. I assume you replaced them along with the new camshaft... What are they made of? How were they installed? Was camshaft bore alignment checked, honed, etc.? We're the bearings-themselves measured to verify tolerances? If you just slapped in a brand new camshaft without checking tolerances, my money is on premature bearing wear.
RandyP63

Post by RandyP63 »

Good news from the last oil analysis. The aluminum content dropped dramatically. Almost normal levels. I bore scoped the engine and saw no wear or abnormalities, compression was good as well. No idea how it happened, but I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the help and ideas, I am just glad it was nothing serious.