70xlt 302

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

70xlt

70xlt 302

Post by 70xlt »

I'm doing total restore on a 70 XLT, 302, auto. My question is the grommet that the vacuum line runs thru the firewall. Does it enter from the engine bay or the inside of the truck? During disassembly the grommet on my truck entered from the inside but just don't seem correct. Does anyone know the answer and/or have a diagram of the grommets/vaccum lines going thru the firewall. I realize this a minimal question but I'm trying to restore correctly.

thanks
LT
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: 70xlt 302

Post by basketcase0302 »

"70xlt"]I'm doing total restore on a 70 XLT, 302, auto. My question is the grommet that the vacuum line runs thru the firewall. Does it enter from the engine bay or the inside of the truck? During disassembly the grommet on my truck entered from the inside but just don't seem correct. Does anyone know the answer and/or have a diagram of the grommets/vaccum lines going thru the firewall. I realize this a minimal question but I'm trying to restore correctly.
thanks
LT
You my friend have a rare beast, (99% of our bumps never had a vacuum line entering the cab that I'd ever seen). Is the vacuum line for the heat / air controls? It almost appears here on the 358 mile 1970 Ford Explorer just above the brake booster?

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
70xlt

Post by 70xlt »

thanks for replying basket case. first I'm a senior doing my first retirement truck. I presume they are some type vacuum line, they are 1/8" ID, there are two of them, one runs along side of the left hand valve cover and the other turns 90 degree and runs to other side of carb. They connect to a black box mounted to the inside firewall at the gas pedal with a two prong electrical plug on it. thanks for any help. There is another plug along side this that the wires run to the coil, heat sensor and oil sensor.
basketcase0302
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by basketcase0302 »

Retired 35+ year HVAC tech-congrats on your retirement. I'm honestly at a loss on what the vacuum line does unless the truck has an overdrive transmission or an Onan generator under the hood. Maybe Jamie / Robert / Randy / Greg or someone else can chime in here and help?
Is this the area the vacuum line enters the cab, (just to the left of the relay mounted on the firewall in this pic)?

Jeff
http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=46251
SOLD-71 F-350 dually flatbed, 302 / .030 over V-8 with a "baby"C-6, B & M truckshifter, Dana70/4.11 ratio, intermittent wipers, tilt steering, full LED lighting on the flat bed, and no stereo yet (this way I can hear the rattles to diagnose)! SOLD!
Many Ford bumps / one 76' EB / and several dents through the years.
A lot of "oddball" Ford parts collected from working on them for 34 years now!
2008 Ford Escape 4 x 4
m9452p

Post by m9452p »

I think the black box was an emission control for the distributor vacumm. I've only seen one like what you describe. Not sure about the rubber grommet, if I can find the photo I'll post it.
70xlt

Post by 70xlt »

thanks for your help. I presume they are vacuum of some sort. one runs along valve cover to distributors and the other runs to back of of carb on right side and I think attaches to carb or ? I can't remember without looking at pics. the site says my file is to big to upload a pic. the inner lines runs thru firewall to black 3" box at gas pedal. I resolved the grommet issue. thanks again.