Are these heads interchangeable?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

jjdeal79

Are these heads interchangeable?

Post by jjdeal79 »

Ok. Once again I am requesting clarification.
I finally got back to my truck and discovered why I was having exhaust leaks at the driverside cylinder/header, in the rear of the block. The bolt hole is widened at the header side and tapers into the bolt threads.

They are c8ae-h cylinder heads. I was thinking about welding in some grade 8 all-thread. I do know some of the other bolt holes will need to be tapped to clean up the threads.

I have another block that I got with the truck. It has c6te-g cylinder heads. I read somewhere that the same casting number would only match up, meaning that I need to stick with th c8ae-h. I know this all changes with aftermarket.

The engine in the truck runs as it sits. The new headers are sanderson ff427. New cylinder heads would not be an option as they would not match up to the new headers and it is too late for a parts return.

Thanks for any suggestions.
-JJD-
1968 F100 4X4, 360, manual everything, project truck, 4th owner!
1972 F100, 360, C6 was “parts truck", heavily molested before I got it, but it runs great!
2004 Taurus wagon, original owner, 200,000+ and zero major repairs!
2020 F350 6.7 adventure machine
Ranchero50

Re: Are these heads interchangeable?

Post by Ranchero50 »

Top bolt holes and be threw drilled and bolt / nut used as a worst case scenario. I wouldn't condemn a set of head for manifold bolt holes damaged. If anything pop some valve springs off both and see which has the least worn set of valve guides.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Any automotive machine shop worth hanging a shingle out should be able to fix this. You might even be able to do it yourself with a helicoil kit.

FWIW, my reference material shows that the C6TE-G head has larger composition chambers than the C6AE-H.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
tnlprt
Blue Oval Guru
Blue Oval Guru

Post by tnlprt »

Your engine will never know the difference ..

You can mix and match heads as long as they are not tunnel ports or Hi Riser heads