Broken bolt

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Broken bolt

Post by fordman »

Im working at the jy to remove a front cover from a 302. Ive got all the bolts out and the waterpump removed as well as the damper. One bolt on drivers side around the water pump hole broke the head off. The bolt is sized in the threads and into the bolt hole of the front cover.
There is a stub of the bolt still there. I can double nut it and make a new head. Or use visegrips
But i dont think the bolt will turn. I doubt pb blaster would free up the front cover from the bolt. Do i try to waste a propane torch to heat it up? What else would you try?
Ohiotinkerer
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Broken bolt

Post by Ohiotinkerer »

A thing I learned from the guys here is to make a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid. I've used it on my bump on quite a few things and its worked really good - between that mixture and a little heat on a couple stubborn ones everything came right apart. Try soaking it with that for a few days (apply each day) and give it a go.......hopefully that will work.........
"Life is a garden - dig it"........... :thup:

1968 F100 2wd - Rangoon Red - 360 w/T18 - power steering and brakes
1997 Honda CBR 900RR
Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Heat, lots of it on the water pump and timing cover. Spray, heat, spray, heat. Bolt shank is seized in the timing cover. Seen it many times from coolant leaks at the block. You may end up getting destructive to get it out.
'70 F-350 CS Cummins 6BT 10klb truck 64k mile Bahama Blue

Contact me for CNC Dome Lamp Bezels and Ash Tray pulls.
fordman
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by fordman »

I got the cover off the engine. And it was a result of the most common mistake most people make. Can you guess what it was? A missed bolt. I didnt see it from the angle i was looking from and the grease covering it.

However the broken bolt is still stuck in the cover. Now its soaking in pb blaster until the jy opens on monday.