Project question...but need an answer so it's here too!

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Project question...but need an answer so it's here too!

Post by cdnwillyg »

A day late on the update because:
I decided to check if there was any water in the oil, because it was high and slightly discolored before I changed it. Well I think when you take out almost 3 quarts of water before the oil is noticed training there maybe a big issue. :eek: :? So I decided to start it with the oil that was in it just to check if there was any bubbling in the rad or leaks around the head before I changed it.
With a little carb cleaner down the carb and gas to fuel pump from a Jerry can it lit right off and ran SWEET!!! :lol: :lol: I went to check exhaust to see if any oil burning and then it happened I heard this weird sound coming from the engine only to see oil puking out all over the floor!! :eek: :? Shut the engine off and seen that the oil was coming from/out of the bell housing??? :cry: :? :eek: :hmm: WHAT?????
So in about 3-5 seconds it dumped all the oil out of the engine, first thing that came to mind was the rear main seal blew but that seem off for it to dump the oil that fast??
So then after talking with a buddy he thought maybe the cam plug or threaded oil gallery plug fell out.
So what do I do?
My thinking is to pull the transmission to check if the problem can be fixed without removing the engine...bigger job but still may have to be done.
Any thought of what happened or how to approach my problem???
Are there frost plugs on the back side of these 390 blocks? may explain water into oil as well??
Is the pic correct for the FE 390??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1968 Mercury M250 Camper Special
FE-390,570CFM 4bbl, C6 Automatic, PS, PB front disk.
Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
:drive:Willy
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Project question...but need an answer so it's here too!

Post by 1972hiboy »

This might be a silly question, are you sure its engine oil? Just wondering if something in the trans let go. if it indeed is engine oil, I dont really see how else you would get eyes on the problem let alone repair without getting access to the rear of the engine.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Oh it's engine oil, not much left in the oil pan when I drained the rest. Tranny was full when this was all done as well. Yes I need to get to the back of the engine for sure. I was hoping my water issue would be addressed too but Manny say's that the pic is not of the back end of a 390(INTERNET IMAGE for 390???).
So will get the oil problem addressed first then move onto why water/antifreeze was in the oil to start with.
Likely either intake/head gasket or cracked head, not sure if there are any cooling plugs up front that may have been forgotten during rebuild but I need to run it to see if any bubbles show up into rad.
Question though would a compression test tell me anything other than where the leak maybe area wise??? :hmm: :hmm:
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

That picture is not a 390.

Water in the oil and oil out of the bellhousing are probably different issues... unless the block is cracked...

I assume you are sure it is actually coming out of the bellhousing and not from above it such as a head or intake...
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

Yes Duckryder the top of the engine is clean and no visible leaks from anything on the outside anywhere on the engine. Cracked block is the one thing I don't want it to be, but you are right it does look like two different issues. The oil I'm hoping is just a plug fallen out, the water, hoping just a gasket either intake or head. Need to address the oil first, then the water. :cry: :cry: Wanted a project got a project!!!! :lol: :lol:
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

I answered this in my build but thought I should leave an answer here as well.
This is what I found:
20171108_150631.jpg
20171108_152919.jpg
The plug was 7/16" and I need to check if that is the right size but was hoping they were threaded plugs not the push in type. I will replace all 3 just to make sure they are in good, any tips on how to install PROPERLY!
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

cdnwillyg wrote: any tips on how to install PROPERLY!
Testing my memory But I remember an old timer using the old style Permatex.
No 1 or no 2
It's the brown stuff one hardens and one doesn't :hmm:
cdnwillyg
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by cdnwillyg »

I just pinned them and then a little high temp sealant used...not sure it will help but I feel better. :lol: