FE fuel pump- cannister or no cannister?

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

the elder rocker

FE fuel pump- cannister or no cannister?

Post by the elder rocker »

Hi Folks-
Spent Sunday reworking the heater system on the F100. New core and shutoff. Went to start the truck to burp the coolant and no run. Fuel pump is puka. The 390 out of the '66 Merc has a mechanical pump with no canister. Is the canister a better idea? I have a clear filter in the line after the pump. (bought 5 of 'em to filter out the gunge) Is the filter in the canister filtering in to the pump or out of the pump? If it's out it seems redundant. Thanks ahead for any knowledge!
Mike Burgess
Albert, KS
1972hiboy
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: FE fuel pump- cannister or no cannister?

Post by 1972hiboy »

Most people forget or never know there is a filter in there and they subsequently never get changed. I would say if you already some sort of filtration installed then having another on the fuel pump isn't necessary.
Rich
1973 f350 super c/s 460/c6 22k orig miles
1972 f350 srw crewcab special 390
1972 f250 4x4 sport custom 390fe Red
1972 f250 4x4 custom 360 FE " Ranger Ric"
1972 f250 4x4 custom 84k og miles 390
1971 f250 4x4 sport custom 56k og miles. 360
1970 f250 4x4 428 fe hp60 205 d60
Dont eat yellow snow.....
the elder rocker

So true Rich- I always liked the ones with the glass sediment bowls! Kept the rocks out of the pump and you knew how the flow goes.
Thanks!
Jacksdad
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by Jacksdad »

Two things I've noticed about the canister filters on our fuel pumps - they're impossible to remove (all the ones I've had anyway), and they sit right next to the lower radiator hose, make the dreaded fuel FE fuel percolation problem even worse. I'd say no canister if you have a choice, and just go with an inline filter.
1971 DRW F350 cab and chassis with an Open Road motorhome conversion, Dana 70, 352 (originally 390)/C6, PS, power front discs, and 159" w/b.
fastEdsel
Preferred User
Preferred User

Post by fastEdsel »

Scrap your clear filter after the pump, if there is a fire the plastic melts quickly and feeds the fire. Install a metal one there and write the install date on it with a permanent marker. On one of mine I built a plate cover where the pump goes, installed an electric pump on the frame with an independent switch to turn it on. No fuel, no one is going to steal it unless they know where the switch is to turn on the fuel. Most of these electric fuel pumps are even filtered before the pump and work very well. :thup:
the elder rocker

Thanks for the insight fellows. I do agree with the safety concerns on the clear filter but during the sorting out phase of this one I need to monitor the fuel flow and sediment issues. Easiest way to do that is to be able to see the pump work and fuel color and sediment content. Good point on the canister location.