total electronic ignition or not???

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

rkboyer911

total electronic ignition or not???

Post by rkboyer911 »

Truck runs very well but the plugs and wires look like they could be replaced........Should I do A total new electronic ignition and get rid of the points and all or just leave it alone?? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: total electronic ignition or not???

Post by sargentrs »

I always install a Duraspark II ignition system on all of my "classic" rides. Not that I'm against points or anything. Properly adjusted and maintained points are just as reliable. I just have had bad experiences with the quality of condensers these days. Btw, beautiful truck!
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
farmallmta

Post by farmallmta »

sargentrs wrote:I always install a Duraspark II ignition system on all of my "classic" rides. Not that I'm against points or anything. Properly adjusted and maintained points are just as reliable. I just have had bad experiences with the quality of condensers these days. Btw, beautiful truck!
I agree: chinese points and condensers BLOW bigtime. Don't even waste your time buying them. Switch to something else.

I use the pertronix modules in all the original distributors. Zero problems ever. Not one. I can highly recommend them.
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I used Pertronix for ~5 years, then switched to Duraspark II for my engine rebuild. I never had a problem with either.

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Post by bluef250 »

I suggest a 1975 Duraspark setup. Duraspark II distributors are available quite reasonably priced - $50 to $70. The harnesses are available at pick -n-pull yards. Heavier duty plug wires, regap plugs, and a few minor wiring changes (schematics are available here) and you are ready to roll. Ford parts are readily available at stores if you have a problem. if you re-curve the distributor, the engine will run better. Relatively easy and cheap. Easier starting and engine will run better. Very little maintenance!

Some have used GM module in place of the Duraspark boxes. Good idea and again not very expensive.

Points system have been around for years and work well. They do take more maintenance and can be fussy.

Good luck how ever to decide to proceed.
HIO Silver
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by HIO Silver »

Except for the 73 with DSII, all my of Fords run Pertronix modules.

The 65 Mustang I just sold back to my brother has had a Pertronix since 1992. Dead nuts reliable...
70 F100 LB 2WD, 360FE, E-Street EFI, TKO-500, 76K original miles.. follow my rebuild: The Lo-Buck Bumpside
71 F250 LB, 2WD, 360FE, T18, PS, PB, D60 with 4.11s
73 F100 SB 4WD, 390FE, NP435, +4 on 35s

01 Ferrari 360 Spider F1
01 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4WD
01 PT Cruiser Limited (DD)
68 Mustang
65 Mustang
rkboyer911

Post by rkboyer911 »

Thanks all looks like you all made my mind up .....Ill switch them out. Again my truck runs great now i just want it more reliable.