Carburetor recommendation

Engine, ignition, fuel, cooling, exhaust

Moderators: Ranchero50, DuckRyder

bluef250
Blue Oval Fanatic
Blue Oval Fanatic

Re: Carburetor recommendation

Post by bluef250 »

The Holley is a great choice and Holley has a great reputation. They make a boat load of parts if you ever want to modify the unit and relatively easy to work on.

I took a car to speed shop and had them set up the carb since they had all the equipment to test. Vehicle ran great until sold and we got 3 to 5 mpg increase in mileage!
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by colnago »

I have an Edelbrock 1405 on my truck (installed by the PO). So far, I like it. Very "tweakable." You can get a kit that lets you change jets, needles, and springs to customize it to your needs. It also works with a direct throttle linkage.

:2cents:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
JHof44

Post by JHof44 »

71PA_Highboy wrote:I am happiest that you feel you got good advice and were able to make a decision.

Some of the forums I am on leave people clueless and confused... It is one of the things I like about his place.

Make sure you put a filter inline for that carb, and make sure you get the right fuel line adapter (should be 5/16). Most speed shops will carry what you need as will summet/Jegs/speedway.

Anyway, keep asking questions, please include pics, and we will be happy to give you opinions... for what they are worth... :D

Good luck!
This brings up a new question. I received the new carb today, the fuel inlet on the car is obviously bigger but also located in a different position, so I doubt I'll be able to use the stock fuel line. Looking over fuel line options, I see the Holley 5/16th lines, which would make it easy enough BUT the fitting from the pump to the fuel line is still the stock size, so I would need a different size fitting on each end. Any tips on this?
1967 Ford F100 Custom Cab longbed
sargentrs
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by sargentrs »

Not sure if the sizes but Summit sells a variety of adapters. https://www.summitracing.com/search/bra ... ner=SREPD5
Randy
1970 F100 Sport Custom Limited LWB, 302cid, 3 on the tree. NO A/C, NO P/S, NO P/B. Currently in 1000 pcs while rebuilding. Project thread: http://www.fordification.com/forum/view ... 22&t=59995 Plan: 351w, C4, LSD, pwr front disc, p/s, a/c, bucket seats, new interior and paint.
1987 F-150 XLT Lariat, 5.0/C6 auto.
JHof44

Post by JHof44 »

sargentrs wrote:Not sure if the sizes but Summit sells a variety of adapters. https://www.summitracing.com/search/bra ... ner=SREPD5
Thank you! I'll swing by the shop to see if they have something that will work.

Can I just run a rubber hose from end of the stock fuel line to the inlet provided by Holley? Or is that a no-no.
cep62
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Post by cep62 »

Your stock fuel line should be 5/16"
MAK
Blue Oval Fan
Blue Oval Fan

Post by MAK »

JHof44 wrote:
71PA_Highboy wrote:I am happiest that you feel you got good advice and were able to make a decision.

Some of the forums I am on leave people clueless and confused... It is one of the things I like about his place.

Make sure you put a filter inline for that carb, and make sure you get the right fuel line adapter (should be 5/16). Most speed shops will carry what you need as will summet/Jegs/speedway.

Anyway, keep asking questions, please include pics, and we will be happy to give you opinions... for what they are worth... :D

Good luck!
This brings up a new question. I received the new carb today, the fuel inlet on the car is obviously bigger but also located in a different position, so I doubt I'll be able to use the stock fuel line. Looking over fuel line options, I see the Holley 5/16th lines, which would make it easy enough BUT the fitting from the pump to the fuel line is still the stock size, so I would need a different size fitting on each end. Any tips on this?
Mine had the new input port facing down toward the manifold at about a 45 degree angle. I purchased a banjo style fitting to get a better angle with my fuel line. I definitely had to cut the original hard line, and used a rubber fuel line and added an additional fuel filter even though there was an internal bronze filter in the carb.
farmallmta

Excellent choice!

Post by farmallmta »

Almost all street engines with a 4bbl are overfueled. By way of illustration, I had a Chrysler police 360 in an '84 Dodge pickup with manual transmission. this engine was out of a police car and had the rare 4bbl spreadbore intake manifold with a Rochester carburator. I loved the roaring sound when the secondaries opened up! Then for a while I had some issues with the carb leaking fuel onto the manifold and throttle linkage binding and choke not closing, so I took it off to have it rebuilt. As chance would have it, I had a remanufactured Rochester Dualjet on hand (same body as a Quadrajet, but there are no secondaries ... only the small primaries function).

I put that on the truck thinking, okay, this is going to be seriously underpowered, but it's only for a few days so I'll just deal with it. Lo and behold, the truck ran BETTER with much better throttle response and better acceleration and better pulling of my trailer! I never did put the Quadrajet back on, just stuck it on a shelf where it still is today. That Dualjet experience really opened my eyes.

My 410 (390 block, 428 crank, 406 heads with adjustable rockers, RV cam) has a 2bbl carb from a '64 292 Y-block that is even smaller than the original carb for a 360/390 FE. Torque is incredible and fuel mileage is great for a bumpside. And this is on an engine that would be considered hotrodded. But it's used for daily driving and grunt pulling. At any RPMs under 4000, a 4bbl carb is almost never needed by any engine on the street.

The fascination we all have for overcarburation is the bragging rights we learned from reading Hotrod and Carcraft magazines when we were young. I keenly recall reading the following in one of their articles in the late '70's: "Power potential is left untapped almost right up to the point that raw fuel is dripping out the tailpipe". An absolutely ridiculous statement unless you're running a topfuel dragster. Unless you're racing that engine in the quarter mile, chances are good tht more carburator is a waste of money and fuel.

It took me years to finally accept what FoMoCo knew all along: it's why they put 2bbl carbs on nearly all pickup engines that I know of for nearly the whole run of carburated engines.
Last edited by farmallmta on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JHof44

Post by JHof44 »

I’m really happy with all the feedback and information I’ve gotten on this site. New carb gets installed tomorrow along with a Scott drake mustang throttle linkage, new air cleaner, and some other goodies.

It turns out my brother ran the same carb on his ‘64 Cadillac and his Apache, so he’ll be helping dial it in. If everything goes well I hope to have her running tomorrow evening in time for a sunset surf session (knock on wood).

Thanks again everyone, I am so glad this site exists with this community!
JHof44

Post by JHof44 »

Update: new Holley 2v 350cfm installed with Scott drake throttle linkage. She runs better than ever and I couldn’t be happier with this carb choice. Thanks again everyone!
colnago
100% FORDified!
100% FORDified!

Re: Excellent choice!

Post by colnago »

farmallmta wrote:Almost all street engines with a 4bbl are overfueled.
I can agree with this. As stated above, I have a 4BBL Edelbrock 1405 (installed by the PO). It came from the factory with a "power tune". I got a whopping 7MPG. I bought the rejet kit, and keep leaning it out. The leaner I make it, the better my 352 likes it. Now, if I don’t stomp on the throttle, I get 10MPG. Unfortunately, it's fun to stomp! :evil:

Joseph
"Sugar", my 1967 Ford F250 2WD Camper Special, 352FE, Ford iron "T" Intake with 1405 Edelbrock, Duraspark II Ignition, C6 transmission, front disc brake conversion.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

JHof44 wrote:Update: new Holley 2v 350cfm installed with Scott drake throttle linkage. She runs better than ever and I couldn’t be happier with this carb choice. Thanks again everyone!
Show us a picture of that linkage please. Carb too actually...

Glad you got it working.
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
JHof44

Post by JHof44 »

DuckRyder wrote:
JHof44 wrote:Update: new Holley 2v 350cfm installed with Scott drake throttle linkage. She runs better than ever and I couldn’t be happier with this carb choice. Thanks again everyone!
Show us a picture of that linkage please. Carb too actually...

Glad you got it working.
DuckRyder

Post by DuckRyder »

Thank you, I like that!
Robert
1972 F100 Ranger XLT (445/C6/9” 3.50 Truetrac)

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -- Jeff Cooper
JHof44

Post by JHof44 »

I’m very happy with the carb and the linkage. For this engine the 350cfm is spot on, runs awesome and really woke it up without being over carbureted. The linkage works great, the throttle is a little sensitive as someone else mentioned but I’m already used to it and actually prefer the feel of it. Of course, compared to the previous setup, which was missing the stabilizer rod and had the linkage connected to the bell shaft with bailing wire, anything is an improvement!